Any Hexanon friends onboard?

I won a local “used camera-kit”-sales,
containing four semi-antique Konica Hexanon AR
lenses (28/3.5, 40/1.8, 52/1.8, and 135/3.5).
I have them adaptered onto my Fuji X-T4. and
they behave very nicely, indeed.

Rumour has it that Hexanon 50/1.7 has much better
prestanda than my 52/1.8, though.

Any learned comments on this?

Also: there is a Hexanon 55mm/3.5 macro kit
with all paraphernalia included available locally.
Anyone having used that kit?

Sincerely,
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

Ohhhh lucky you!

This guy went in to pretty good detail on his experience… you likely saw this already but if not…

1 Like

@priort Thank you. That link was new to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hexanons are nice looking but their awkwardly narrow aperture ring makes them not-that-pleasant to handle on digital bodies. I guess it was a design decision Konica made due the automatic mode (AE) was the intended method of use.

My experience with Hexanons on Sony A7:

The old design of 58/1.4 (gold-looking single coating, not the greenish/purple one) features something strange which produces a bokeh to my liking. It definitely is a ‘vintage look’ lens.

The praised 50/1.7 was nothing exceptional during my evaluation compared to similar 50s from that era. Maybe it was the second (cheaper - no half-clicks) edition?

A tested copy of 135/2.5 was not really sharp compared to Canon FD 135/2.5.

1 Like

I have every one of those besides the 135mm f3.5. I have the f3.2 which I love. I actually have 2 copies each of the 40 and 28.

Although I don’t have the 57mm 1.7, the 52mm f.18 is very sharp and high contrast f2.0 and up.
The color, however is a bit on the cool side. Overall it’s a great lens.

There are multiple versions of the 28mm f3.5. There earlier ones are 7 elements and are said to be better than the newer 5 element ones. Both of mine are the 7 element versions and from the outside appear to be identical, but one has half stops. This one has an earlier serial number. This is my preferred one as the other one has higher local contrast that gives a slight over-processed appearance. It also has a slight orange cast that I have a hard time removing in processing.
Edit: Here is a comparison sample Hexanon 28mm f3.5 comparison: Adapted Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Both my 40mm lenses behave the same. Anything below f4 is soft, but f4 and up it is tack sharp. Color is pretty neutral.

1 Like