Any idea how to get this look? - RawTherapee

Found some intriguing images such as this

on this page

Any idea how to do this in RawTherapee?

What part do you want to replicate?

@paperdigits the colours, the feel. the airiness, green/yellow. it has a particular something about it which there is no way came straight out of the camera

Look a little overcast, I assume the image lacked contrast, so: add contrast to fill the histogram, saturate the greens and yellows, desaturate blues/Sky’s and reds.

1 Like

I noticed that there is zero haze in these photos. The photos look unnaturally sharp from foreground to horizon. I will start with Retinex module to remove all the haze and then adjust the colors.

1 Like

From the last two photos of the article I would assume the following.

• separate sky and foreground
  • Foreground: lots of contrast (use curves), raise saturation
  • Sky: pull down the luminosity a bit; make it contrasty but not to much, tint/saturate it blueish. (My guess is that the sky is very bright in the original picture as you can see in the second picture and is hinted in the video still)

Just my guesses…but interesting look.

The feeling comes from medium and large format and the look comes from film development. In fact, the credited photographer Domingo Milella does indeed use large format film (check out this interview).

1 Like

It looks to me like you could get close to the general feel by playing with saturation, contrast and maybe brightness. First 2 in the opposite direction you would normally use them.

I suspect that the sky was treated separately. Damping that down and maybe even blurring a touch would tend to make the rest stand out. It may be rather critically focused as well - houses and rock sharp, stuff before that less sharp. There is a method of doing that more likely to be used by people who shoot with larger formats - usually much larger.

It does look film like to me but not totally what I would expect. Maybe rather old film well past it’s date.

:roll_eyes: Another method of focusing. A lot of reading. It works

http://www.trenholm.org/hmmerk/DOFR.html

My crib sheet that I keep meaning to print and keep in my bag. It’s unusual for me to shoot this style of shot though.

FocusResolution

John

@afre are you familiar with the development ? as in what colour shifts it causes, so I might be able to immitate it with curves/channels?

Well to me it looked as if the image was overall a little red-deprived. I messed with RGB channels and removed some red from the greens, removed some blue from reds, added some blue to greens then reduced the blue level overall to fix the colour issues that the previous things caused.

Otherwise I increased the contrast in RGB curves a little.

If the photographer used a large format camera, as indicated by @afre, then the depth of field can be achieved by tilting the front lens element forward.

@paperdigits I’m more interested in the colours to be honest

@stefan.chirila Sorry to disappoint, but I don’t have the means or time for medium or large format, let alone full frame :smile:. I don’t even tote around a smartphone that can take web worthy photos, so I am below average in terms of practical photography experience.

What I can say is that, for a very brief period of time, I have touched a medium format film camera, taken a few snaps and asked a regular photo lab to process them. It was a lot of fun and the results were great! Not enough to learn anything, other than an appreciation for the art.

Anyway, I think that you have the right idea. Continue studying the histogram distribution and how the colors correlate. Maybe generate a haldclut while you are at it or try imitating the distribution.

Edit: Just a thought. Does RT have profiles for digital backs or digital medium / large format cameras? It wouldn’t hurt to try applying some of them to your images and see what happens.

RT has pretty extensive film emulation haldclut, same as in gmic, pretty much.

The title states slide Stefan’s post. Could explain why I thought there was something unfilm like about it. Hard to be sure though as the manufacturers kept upping the iso rating of both generally resulting in more muted colouration but it’s hard to find a word to describe the difference it made.

Focus ? It can make a hell of a difference to the appearance of a shot.

John

I can’t explain the weird greens in place. Long time ago but I took lots of slides in Italy and greens don’t look like that. The buildings are faded as well. That can happen in sunny climbs especially with some brands of film.

I have a shot taken in Turkey. Sunny there too. This is as I adjusted it.

I mostly undid my processing with cie brightness, chroma and contrast then more in the same direction. The effect is similar

John

1 Like

Your playing around with the RGB channels inspiredd me to do the same. :grin:

I first looked at the histogram of his image… you can clearly see the peak of the sky, and the rest, which is the foreground is the interesting part. If you just look at the rest (in his image the lower 2/3 of the histogram), then the red peaks on the light tones, the green peaks on the middle tones and the blue exists only on the shadows.
I tried to mimic that in Gimp by fixing the histogram of all three channels somewhat to the left of the sky-peak and the doing as I wrote above: reds peak in the highlights, green peak in the mids, blues peak in the shadows. finished by adjusting the overall luminosity.

Here’s an example, split in the middle with the original image to the left (excuse the rear, I was looking for an image quickly, which had kind of the same colors):

What do you think?

1 Like

The title states slide [in] Stefan’s post.

@Ajohn The name indicates that the photo is part of a slideshow in the article.

I first looked at the histogram of his image…

@McCap Good observations and example. Hard to miss the rear end! :see_no_evil:

1 Like

@McCap This is great progress! and I just realized I should have looked at his histogram :stuck_out_tongue:

Ya’ll overlooking the taking of the photo :wink:

Time of day, day of year, sky, geographic location, medium format, film? Skill and eye of the photographer.

Trying to post all that will result in one mangled photo… Regardless of postprocessing skills you can’t make a good carbonara out of ala Norma ingredients!

1 Like