Any photo or photographer move you enough to share a few words?

Credit where credits due
A while ago @epeeist posted a post about an upcoming show by photographer Chris Killip.
What a wonderful rabbit-hole that turned out to be.
From Chris to Graham Smith to Tish Murtha to Fay Godwin to Jane Bown

After 50yrs there’s something remarkable in Tish and Smiths photos. At the time they were taken they were just unremarkable everyday pictures of people and places familiar to the photographer.
Killip put in a bit more effort. He’d rent a room or caravan and live in the community he photographed for months at a time. Talk about commitment.
Godwins photo of an open empty moorland doesn’t just tell a story. Bottom of frame is a small barely noticeable wooden sign with the word ‘private’. That’s a whole thesis on land ownership, right to roam, class divisions…
Bown could knock out a banging portrait within 15mins of rocking up to the shoot. No lavish production, wardrobe, hair or make-up. Just careful use of window light (or a spare 100 watt bulb she carried in case light was bad)

Leafing through Killips book, 1946 - 2020 - Youth on Wall, Jarrow, Tyneside - just floored me
By the by, the movie Tish is now available on various streamers. Enjoy

Any photo or photographer move you enough to share a few words?

Don McCullin’s entire output from the gangs, and down and outs in the East End of London, to his war photography and his dark, dark landscapes of later years. But I can’t do better than the man’s own words:

Yea, recognise Don McCullin, War Photographer. Not so much his other stuff. Should keep me going for a while, ta

The War Remnants Museum in Saigon has some very confronting and powerful images that always move me towards tears.

Hard to find a decent link for Malick Sidibe’s Nuit de Noel so here’s two:

Also Masahisa Fukase’s Ravens

Letizia Battaglia

1 Like

Having gone through the times and seen many of the atrocities perpetrated by the Pakistani Army on civilians, I am still haunted by the pictures Kishor Parekhs captured and presented in his photo book - Bangladesh a Brutal Birth

Bangladesh-A-Brutal-Birth-by-Kishor-Parekh (1).pdf (19.8 MB)

Browsing Sidibes photos listening to Ali Farka Toumani - could almost be there.
Liking the apparent simplicity of Fukase though there’s something un-nerving in that 2nd photo down - those bright beady eyes.
How does a simple photo gain “weight” or “depth”? Is it intrinsic to the photo? the photographer? Or did it just happen the catch the eye of a publisher?

1 Like