After trying it out for a while I think I am ready to commit to darktable/DigiKam to replace Capture One on my Mac. Since Capture One is the last software that held me on the Mac I am starting to look for a Linux laptop to replace the MacBook.
The MacBook hardware is pretty good so I am looking for something that has:
- great screen (13-15 inch)
- 32GB RAM, 1TB disk
- Can drive a 4K external monitor
- USB-C and USB-A ports
- An SD reader would be nice
- Extensible disk and memory
- Reliable and will last a few years
- Costs < $2000
- Weight or thinness is not that important
- I don’t do gaming but I may be interested in some GPU software development
It doesn’t have to meet all requirements but it would be nice to get close.
Does anybody have recommendations?
I have been looking at the System 76 Galago Pro https://system76.com/laptops/galp5/configure which looks pretty close at a decent price. No idea how reliable it is though.