Any way to have SIRIL delete sequences and files I no longer need during a script?

I’m using modified and enhanced versions of the OSC_Processing scripts. But since I often stack 2000-3000 short exposure lights, I have modified them to optimize for performance and disk space usage.

To that end, I’ve been using 16-bit mode during all stages except stacking where I put it into 32-bit mode and/or RICE compression during the entire process. The output quality has been roughly equivalent. Also performance has been good (except one case below).

The problem is the 16-bit mode only saves 1/2 the space and although the RICE compression is highly effective, when using -fitseq for >2048 lights, the process becomes un-threaded because, I was informed by SIRIL developers, that the RICE compression library isn’t multithreaded in a way that allows fit sequences to use it with more than one thread. So once I have more than 2048 and need fit sequences and need the RICE compression, it slows way down.

So, I’m thinking: Can I also delete unused files during the process to help reduce disk space requirements. Then perhaps I can live with the 16-bit option more often. After a file is used or a sequence is converted from one from to another (say the preprocess sequence is used to create the registered sequence) can I have the preprocess sequence deleted?

I know keeping them around could have use, but I can live without that.

Are there commands or options or some method that would accomplish this?

Hello.

This is a question often asked and therefore we have an answer in the faq:

Thank you for the reference and the reasoning makes sense.

1 Like