Any way to recover the sky and highlights in this shot?

It is one of my favourites… if I use denoise it usually offsets… I try chroma only and if the dehaze preset is harsh rather than adjust it (which I will do as needed) I add the default denoise to include luma denoising and see how that looks… Here its also the composition…like having tree branches in the way…not much you can do…

@kofa, what happened to you :slight_smile: So much older looking …

1 Like

That was his head shot for his audition for “Vikings” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Beards do that. Ask me how I know… :laughing:

2 Likes

Well, the previous profile picture was taken over 8 years ago. My hairline is receding, my grey hairs take over more and more of what I have left.
Plus, the new profile picture is a portrait of one of my favourite fantasy characters, Ebenezar McCoy. If I live long enough, one day I might switch to another drawing of him:

2 Likes

Looks like the raw greens are blown:

Sky selection raw histogram in RawDigger

So blue detail is probably recoverable with a bit of jiggery-pokery …

My attempt

How about this?
IMG_6663_11.CR2.xmp (26.3 KB)
darktable-4.1.0+1065

5 Likes

nice pic,

i wanted to find out, if i can recover some sky with RT 5.9RC1:

IMG_6663-1.jpg.out.pp3 (23,5 KB)

4 Likes

Hello,

I took the liberty of forgetting the initial request (blue sky) and processing it in monochrome with Darktable 4.1

IMG_6663_01.CR2.xmp (15.6 KB)

Greetings from Brussels,
Christian

2 Likes

Like this. Come to think of it I visited the location again at a different time and saw the sky was indeed a very light blue color near the sun … so the white isn’t far off even though it was a blown highlight in my image. Something I need to adjust for now given the winter sun stays low in the sky. Also, the distant hills views were indeed hazy.

I think this is for sure one of those times that being there would really help for wb and overall color. It seems foggy/hazy and a tad dull from the untouched raw but it is so easy to really boost the color and contrast in the town, the trees and it makes that all look wonderful but likely destroys the true lighting and balance in the photo…

The extracted jpg seems to show this might also be the case

Here’s one with rawproc double logistic tone, plus gmic opposing HL recovery (same algo as DT) and gmic dehaze (algo in testing). No other processing, just rawproc standard raw conversion stuff so it’s quite a plain output.

2 Likes