Anyone remember the Fujifilm S5600?

My first camera was a weird little thing, the Certo SL 110. It was nearly impossible to get film for it (I’ve just learnt one could have actually reloaded the cartridge). I shot maybe 2 or 3 rolls with it, and was never able to buy more film.
My father had ‘the family camera’, which was a Zorki; more specifically, I think the Zorki 2. He shot a roll or two on vacations, black-and-white.
The film was developed at home, by my uncle. I think he shot a Praktica SLR.

My first digital camera was the ‘Uzi’ Olympus C-2100 Ultrazoom, similar to Steven’s Fuji in terms of optics: 38 - 380 mm, f/2.8-3.5. Noisy as hell at ISO 400. :slight_smile: I bought 4 x 64 MB SmartCards with it, and it cost a fortune, especially by Hungarian standards: the monthly net salary was about HUF 65,000 at the time; the camera cost 380,000, if I remember correctly (it was introduced in 2000 for about USD 1000, 1 USD was ~280 during 2001, and the sales tax was 25%, so it seems realistic, given the additional cards and the polariser + skylight filter). In 2008 or 2009, I upgraded to a used Nikon D80, which was replaced by a used D7000 in 2013. That one I still have. My other camera is a Lumix LX-7, which I bought in 2018 or 2019. We also have a few other old cameras, which the kids and wife (don’t) use: Canon G15, Lumix TZ-100, Olympus Stylus 1, Panasonic FZ-62 (same as the 60, for Switzerland).

1 Like

Hah! I thought I was the only 24 mm weirdo. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just remembered his childhood camera, which I found in a drawer as a kid: a Pajtás. :slight_smile:
Pajta's - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia (“pajtás” means ‘friend’ or ‘mate’, but was also used in the Communist ‘pioneer’ movement of the era)

2 Likes

My wife was a young pioneer in China. The CCP sent them all off to PLA training camps after Tiananmen and tried to train her to use an AK-47, which is a terrifying thought given her lack of interest in mechanical competence

2 Likes

My very first digital camera was the Canon Powershot A720 IS. It still works fine, my parents are still using it for family shots of their grandkids (the say that it works better for them than cellphones).

My very first proper film camera was a Yashica Electro 35. It was a gift from my uncle, who was a photojournalist (now retired). I still have the camera (picture below), and remember it fondly. The 45mm fixed lens was great for learning composition, the 1.7 aperture allowed me to use depth of field creatively, and B&W film was infinitely forgiving about exposition.

7 Likes