Anyway this type of algorithm could be implemented in G'MIC?

And wow does it look so much better!

Something I’d love to see played with is the removal of black outline from around each circle. See aboriginal dot art for reference

OK; figured out how to pipe the active GIMP layer into David’s code withing GIMP/G’MIC but of course, the background’s black. Used color threshold (not ideal) to create a mask and then recolored the dots before running BRL. Now I know it’s possible for a GIMP/GMIC plugin. lol

Kudos again to David. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Of course, I had to do a me, too. lol

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

OK; used one of G’MIC sample gallery images and added some pizzaz to the mask layer for this one. Much better Circlism than Shapism for sure and hope David does implement the new algorithm soon. It’s fast, even using the clunky run code interface. :slight_smile:

Imgur

3 Likes

A while back, I started a thread concerning reversible deformations. Of all the ones I know of, Euclidean to Polar is my favorite. I would run E to P, then run anisotrophic smoothing (fake smudge) on that result and run pen a few times to get some lines. I then reverse the deformation and uprez the result to taste. I then run Circlism algorithm on that layer and use color threshold to make a mask which I use to recolorize the target into dots. I did blend in some of the circlsim mask result to add a bit of contrast and then BRL for the marbles. Been basically doing this process for the marble results using Shapism, but this algorithm exceeds Shapism beyond any words to describe it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Marblelous Swami

OK; you can blame David for my relapse into searching for my marbles. lololol

Used Whirl-Pinch (and reverse) per the link I mentioned earlier this time. :slight_smile:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/163034485@N03/52777919462/sizes/o

3 Likes

Fantastic @lylejk !
It gives me new ideas for designing a new filter for the G’MIC-Qt plug-in :slight_smile:

1 Like

Which means I’ll never find all my marbles. lol

Still cannot believe how G’MIC’s still the gift that keeps on giving after all of these years, David. Shared the tool everywhere I can and hope people have seen both the potential and power of it. I know I have; use G’MIC, literally, on every edit I do. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is a first filter implementation for the G’MIC-Qt plug-in:

located in Patterns / Pack Ellipses.
Let me know if that works for you!

3 Likes

Works great; really cool and quick and do like the options (true circlism as well as ellipsis). Hopefully can add random objects as well (future updates) to be a packed sprites on steroids. Thanks a heap again for the work, David. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Packed glass shards

And, with a little help from Inkscape (cracked glass; wish someone would have ported Inkscape’s bitmap filters into GIMP by now; lol) and shellout, why not. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tested on this image, and you lose some significant information from it.

https://png.pngtree.com/png-clipart/20221115/original/pngtree-fire-burning-realistic-red-flame-picture-image_6861030.png

Particularly on the alpha channel.

Not sure about using transparencies with circlism, Rep. Still, maybe a solution can be had.

Anyway, just because I cannot help myself. lol

Played around with some sliders and then added some after effects, and voila; who needs Perculator, anyway. True story; asked the creator of Perculator to port his program to Windows (probably a decade ago now) and he said, in a nut shell, that he didn’t have time to do so. I try not to hold grudges, but… lol

:slight_smile:

1 Like

There is, but for maximum flexibility, it requires a lot of care in coding. I am revisiting my photomosaic filter, and there’s like 900+ LOC as a result of so many options and making it work.

It looks really cool indeed!
It takes roughly 1:15min to process a 3000x3750 image on my macbook M1 (Ubuntu VM). I’m not sure if it’s fast or not since i don’t know what’s under the hood.

I can’t even find this any more. I can find references to IFS Illusions. This is pretty obscure.

Is it 1mn and 15s, or 1h and 15mn? :face_with_spiral_eyes:

As this filter basically creates a simplified version of the image, I’d recommend not using it on “large” images. Let say that 1024x1024 already contains enough details for the filter to proceed.
And, if you want a high resolution rendering, it is still possible to select the x2x8 resolution option in the filter for rendering the final outcome at large resolutions.

It was 1min and 15s of course! 1 hour? noooo way! :sleeping:
EDIT : tried on a 1200x1500px image and filter was applied in 11s.

I think it would be useful to have this kind of information as a note in the GUI, for users who don’t read this forum and may try the filter on huge images. But thanks anyway :wink:

1 Like

@David_Tschumperle & @lylejk
Thank you for the creation of this filter and the idea.

To have fun:

foofoo :
fx_pack_ellipses. 3,20,0,100,100,6,1,3,0,0,0,255,0,0
+fx_emboss_relief. 5,0,0.5,2,1,1,1,0,50,50
sharpen.. 200
smooth.. 100
fx_blend_edges[-1,-2] 1,5,0

2 Likes