Are there any more reversible deformations besides Euclidean to Polar and Twirl?

(Lyle Kroll) #1

Used both in my most recent wood block renders. The more variety of reversible distortions wht more cooler results. Just wondering. :slight_smile:

From the little I know, some filters and operations are inherently reversible. Most are not strictly reversible. You could probably do a web search to find out. I also came across a paper recently showing progress in reversing non-reversible filters.

In terms of the examples in your title, I may be wrong but I think they are transformations into another space with a way to return to the original space. We do that sort of thing more often than we think; e.g., gamma and color space / model transformations.

(Lyle Kroll) #3

Yeah; with a little coaxing, I got a few more to work. Also, I forgot about GIMP’s own whirl and pinch which actually gives a bit better result for this. I posted a result at GIMPChat. :slight_smile:

http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15910&sid=c8a6e3c004a1928297f8d8c9037d0390&start=10#p220464

Hi Lyle, The swirl and pinch version is great, you should add it to your swami thread.

(Lyle Kroll) #5

Thanks James; Don’t like taking up bandwidth and I actually uploaded this one using GIMPChat’s storage. I’ll see if I can just simply link the image itself though. :slight_smile: