Apis mellifera (carpatica?)

The common bee.

Shot with Sony a6000, SMC Pentax M Macro 4/50, on top of 57mm of extension tubes.

Processed with Rawtherapee, cleaned up dust with Gimp.

21 Likes

That is a nice one, @zerosapte!

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

Yes, this looks like a very nice shot of a carnica bee to me - the more commonly used name for both this family of Apis mellifera sub-species and the specific one. I only learned about carpatica as an alternate name now, when I looked it up. I’m always amazed at how calm they are when collecting nectar; with a 50mm lens, you must have been fairly close.

Calm? Hah, I’ve been struggling to get a shot like this for the last couple if years and I’ve only lucked out this time

And yes, the 50mm on top of extension tubes gives me a working distance of just a bit over an inch. The struggle is real.

Well, next challenge up then is to photograph pollen gatherers :wink:

With calm I mean two things: First, they’re not easily disturbed and keep on sucking even if you fire a flash strong enough to light ISO100/f11 at 1:1. Second, I’ve never been stung by a bee away from the hive, even if I did get very close, touched them, brushed them off by mistake etc. The warden bees at the hive take their job seriously though and you better listen.

2 Likes

You sure sound like you know your bees.

Lovely little creatures.

1 Like