Appropriate settings for Color Management?

I am asking this question because that under Color Management, I note that the available settings can change depending on whether the image is jpg or raw. I intend to incorporate these settings into my processing profiles. I’d like to know which setting would be preferable considering that I have a color calibrated icm for my Dell U2312HM monitor-sRGB (camera-FZ1000):

For JPG

1. Use embedded, if possible
  2. Custom (my monitor’s calibrated icm that I’m now using???)
  3. Working Profile: ProPhoto or sRGB or ???
  4. Output Profile: RTv4sRGB or ???

For RAW

1. Camera Standard
  2. Auto-matched (now using)
  3. Custom
  4. Working Profile: ProPhoto or sRGB or ???
  5. Output Profile: RTv4sRGB or ???

For raw CM in RT you might gain some insight from this video I made the other week

As for jpeg - which is already likely to be ‘pre-baked’ in sRGB if OOC then I might be tempted to keep everything there.

4 Likes

Thanks for your lead, Andy. I watched the video (several times over about the part I was interested in,) but I just can’t wrap my head around what I should do (other than leaving ProPhoto) as far as the CM setting I should use for RAW. For JPG, that was easy…leave defaults.

That is true. Don’t change the working profile. And as an input profile you should take this matching your camera in case of raw. The output profile is in most cases sRGB.

The display profile (the one for the monitor) you set in the settings and not in the profile.

Thanks, Karl. So, I leave jpgs at default, but for the Output profile, there are two sRGB possibilities: RTv4sRGB or sRGB Color Space Profile…which one?

Any one … the v4 is the newer ISO norm as far as I know

https://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/lcms-make-icc-profiles.html

V4 ICC profiles are made according to the V4 specs, released around 2001 and last revised around 2010.
V2 ICC profiles are made according to the V2 specs, released around 1995.

V4 profiles use parametric curves instead of point curves, which has a higher degree of accuracy.
When editing 8-bit images, it doesn’t matter whether the image’s ICC profile has a point curve or a parametric curve, because the RGB data is already quantized below the level of precision provided by the point curves. But for high bit depth editing, it’s better to use V4 profiles with parametric curves.

Use V4 profiles for editing images using high bit depth image editors that use LCMS as the Color Management Module.
Use V2 profiles for exporting finished images to be uploaded to the web or for use with imaging software that can’t read V4 profiles.

So in your case, @flycaster, I think the sRGB profile you are referring to is v2, in which case it is fine for outputting to the web.

Thanks, Soupy. Very informative.