April 8 2024 US total solar eclipse musings

Anyone here going out of their way for the total solar eclipse in <2 weeks?

During the last one in the US (2017) I was working so I didn’t go anywhere. However, I did bring a small refractor telescope (properly filtered!) to work and set up in the parking lot so folks returning from lunch could take a look at the ~80% eclipsed sun. It was OK but mostly it was beastly hot and humid standing out on the concrete in the midday August sun.

This eclipse track is 200-300 miles from my area at closest and more than two years ago I made reservations at a hotel. I was apparently the first because they were about to give me the standard rate until I mentioned the eclipsed. I was put on hold and then told they’d get back in touch. I got an email a few days later with an inflated rate.* Sorry, everyone else… I guess someone had to do it!

We’re going to leave the “eclipse town” (Mena, Arkansas) in the Ouachita mountains and go up to Jasper, Arkansas in the Ozark mountains for the remainder of the week. Unfortunately the eclipse track follows where we’re going …or it is the other way around? So the crowds may well remain heavy. I mean, our logic was, “It’s springtime in a beautiful area, we’ll just stay for a while after the eclipse.” What do you want to bet several hundred thousand of our ‘closest friends’ thought the same thing? :frowning:

I’ve been an amateur astronomer since 1987, but solar observing, including eclipses, has never been anything more than an occasional glance, nothing of real interest. The only reason we’re going specifically to this one is because it’s so close.

Still, it’s only four minutes out of a week. And as it approaches I’m getting less and less excited about going, for several reasons. I’m really starting to think it’s a mistake, eclipse notwithstanding. But we’re reserved and paid, so there’s no logic in canceling. I just have a feeling it’s going to be less than enjoyable. Why?

• The massive crowds – I’m not misanthropic and I’m not adverse to crowds. However, my idea of a good time is not being immersed in a throng of clueless gawkers. And despite the phrasing, I mean that literally, not as a pejorative. If I went to a dressmakers convention, I’d quite literally by a clueless gawker. Also, every imaginable resource (lodging, food, fuel, parking, you name it) will be stretched beyond the breaking point.

• My point about springtime in a beautiful area (above) – We’ll be in the thick of it the entire time. I can only hope most (many?) leave immediately after the eclipse. Unfortunately, all the roads in this area are two-lane, so (massive?) traffic jams are inevitable.

• Late spring – From a natural perspective, spring seems to be a bit delayed this year. We went through this area just last weekend and many of the trees are still mostly, if not completely, bare. I’d really like to do some landscape photography while I’m there, but family (even couple) vacations / holidays are virtually incompatible with photography. Also given the popularity of this area (Buffalo River) the “woods may be full” of hikers, etc., potentially ruining the possibility of photography. Hopefully not.

Well, drat. Whatever. We’ll just go and try to not think about how much better (not to mention, cheaper) it would’ve been a month later. Anyone else have plans?

* I understand the real-world implications of the massive customer influx during such an event. But all of them are paying customers so it’s difficult to explain away the spectre of price-gouging. After all, more paying customers == more revenue. No need to artificially raise prices. But I digress…

3 Likes

No need to really go anywhere (other than outside) as i am in the path of totality. I just hope the skies will be clear here, as early april weather is iffy.

Yeah, I chose Arkansas because I have friends in SW Missouri who I thought wanted to join us there, but they won’t be able to make it. So Texas would’ve been a far better choice weather-wise.

Oh well, if it’s cloudy them maybe some of the massive throng will leave sooner (or even better, not show up at all).

My work place is hosting an event… Niagara region immediately south of us is expecting to be overwhelmed with people…

There have been stories in the news here in Ontario about how Niagara Falls will be overwhelmed by millions of visitors. I’m a little skeptical to be honest, and I think coverage like this will dampen the enthusiasm of more casual observers.

So maybe you’ll find yourself in the middle of a horde, but even if you are I suspect it will be short lived. I would love to be in the Ozarks the rest of the week, that’s beautiful country! You’ll be used to pines being from Louisiana, but when I was in Arkansas/Missouri in the spring I was inhaling allergy pills to deal with the buckets of pollen going up my nose!

1 Like

I think like everything… social media and now the news create a buzz to try to capture viewers/likes etc… I feel like everything gets hyped and burns out fast only to be replaced by the next hyped story of the moment… My office is next to the stadium where our viewing party is so that is where I will be if I remember to go…

1 Like

My dad’s side of the family was from the Mena general area and we’ve been to Jasper (as well as many other regional Arkansas locations) all our lives. In fact we’ll be staying the same boutique hotel where I stayed last year for a photo workshop. So that’s not a question. My only concern will be the hoards… If the weather keeps some away, that’s a win.

Where I live in Louisiana it’s called Pineville… and it’s aptly named. TONS of those vile pine trees littering every square inch of ground. Fortunately so far I’ve not had a specific physiological reaction (other than disgust) to pine pollen. I’ve seen clouds of pollen so thick they looked like smoke, literally. So far this year it’s not been that bad (famous last words).

1 Like

Yeah, but they sure are pretty! And the smell is amazing - like living in a sauna, with the heat to match! I’ve got a poster of Long-leaf pine savanna in my office here in Ottawa, a reminder of happy days spent cruising across the Gulf states.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on pretty (I really don’t care for them), but you got it dead right in the heat and humidity.

1 Like

Rush ordered a couple of glasses on Friday—or was it Saturday? Because of that, they were up-sold. Oh well.

Happy eclipse viewing tomorrow! It will be my first. Hoping for a :face_in_clouds:-free experience.

2 Likes

total1 solar eclipse overcast sky :see_no_evil:

[1] 99.51-99.7%

My son lives in a “perfect” spot, Boerne, Texas. It is so perfect that they have declared a civil emergency because of the expected influx of eclipse watchers. His in-laws are planning to go to his house for viewing, but I wonder whether they will even be able to get there through the traffic.

2 Likes

Here’s what that “perfect” spot looks like now. :slight_smile:

That’s San Antonio (or as the locals say, “San Antone”) in the center of the road loop. All that muck is heading north, but so far we’re partly cloudy (with areas of clear) in west central Arkansas. We’ll see how it looks in 2.x hours.

1 Like

It was overcast with a fleeting opening where I saw a sliver of sun. It then went dark, but not completely (7/8 p.m. light). The breeze stopped. Still quite dramatic within a span of a few minutes.

BTW, I am in Canada… so the title is not quite accurate. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It just got mildly dark here. It seemed to confuse the vultures who seemed suoer busy trying to catch thermals. Other than that I really enjoyed being in the soft and eclipse-shaped shadow light play. Also relish in the fact that total eclipses only occur on Earth, as our planet is the only who’s moon happens to be just the right size in the sky to perfectly block the solar disk.

1 Like

Here it was at full peak in Washington DC:

6 Likes

As it turned out, in west central Arkansas it was totally clear overhead at the time of totality.

I know nothing about solar image processing so I’ll try again after I get home (and can research a little). This was shot handheld with my Canon 850D and EF70-200 f/4L zoom, then processed in mono on my laptop in the hotel room.

13 Likes

We were only expected to see up to 20ish percent of totality…but we had 100% cloud cover all day. I’ll just catch the next one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So far, this is one of the coolest images I’ve seen so far:

5 Likes

Really cool diamond ring effect.