ART > Color Management > Input Profile

Which “Input profile” should I choose?

Sometimes ART select the “Camera standard” if “Auto-matched camera profile” is grayed out.

What is the best choice, for Panasonic DC-S5ii?

I have the “Panasonic DC-S5M2 Adobe Standard.dcp” from Adobe and copied it to “/opt/art-rawconverter/dcpprofiles/”. So I could also choose this one.

grafik

But the difference to “Camera standard” is minimal.

Hi,
As usual, use whatever pleases you :slight_smile:

That’s a really unusual approach: “use whatever pleases you”. And this rule has always proved to be correct at ART.

Does the Input Profile itself really hardly play a role? I always thought that these .dcp were important.

And is a camera standard always just as good as a camera-specific one? With the Panasonic G9, however, there are small differences.

But I can see for myself, even if I find it hard to believe, that Camera standard produces exactly the same image and the same histogram as the specific .dcp on the S5 ii.

Amazing - but nice that it’s like this.

I suspect the camera standard might often just have the standard matrix and so will not be the same as the DCP file…the differences are I think really well explained here…

Camera Standard

A conversion takes place based on profiled information from either of three sources, in decreasing priority:

• The dcraw_matrix field in the camconst.json data file available in RawTherapee’s installation directory;
  • Hard-coded values provided by the dcraw library embedded within RawTherapee;
  • The raw file itself.

There is one exception: when a DNG raw file has a ColorMatrix2 Exif tag and was not generated by the Adobe DNG Converter, the matrix from the Exif data is prioritized above all others.

Applying an input profile is nothing more than a linear algebra operation on the image data. The input profile consists of a square matrix (3×3 for RGB based sensors) that is multiplied with the pixel vectors of camera-native RGB values. These matrices are specifically calibrated for a specific illuminant (D65, i.e. 6500K) and provide the most accurate color reproduction if the scene illuminant matches the calibration illuminant. However, the color accuracy is usually still good enough for very different light sources and white balances.

The benefit of a matrix profile over other profiles (e.g. table-based DCP or ICC profiles) is its linearity. Because no non-linear functions are applied to the data, the scene-referred linearity of the light intensities is kept intact. This is important for several image processing operations and for example when exporting for further editing (e.g. HDR applications usually require a predictable linear color response

As part of

https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Color_Management

It’s possible that the Camera standard source is the same as the Adobe profile, a number of cameras’ color matrices are sourced from the Adobe DNG Converter collection.

Even then, most camera matrices are produced from measured color targets, so differences should be minor. Adobe has been known to “cook” their matrices to mitigate color compromises, but the whole matrix thing is a compromise, according to the Licensed Color Scientists… :laughing:

They are not the same, they can actually be quite different depending on how the DCP profile was made and what was the lighting source when you took the picture. The default of art is to use a camera-specific dcp if available, because on average it has better chances of minimizing the artifacts that can appear under extreme conditions. But this is really just a rule of thumb, and often the “camera standard” profile is perfectly fine. And if you get better results with the Adobe dcps, by all means use them!

I looked for the OP’s camera in your camconst.json, wasn’t there. From where are you sourcing it?

Could be in cammatrices.json. either way it comes from Adobe d65

1 Like

1 Like

Adobe provides two types of DCP profiles. Adobe standard profiles and camera-specific profiles made by Adobe. If you like OOC Jpegs, I recommend using a camera-specific standard profile (not Adobe standard!), as it emulates OOC Jpegs.

For Panasonic Panasonic DC-S5M2, “Panasonic DC-S5M2 Camera Standard.dcp” is appropriate. Camera-specific DCP profiles also include Panasonic’s “Photo Style” emulation profiles.

As Camera standard profile in ART is taken from DNG files as written in cammatrices.json, I suppose that it is similar with Adobe standard profile.

1 Like

That would be a plausible explanation as to why the profiles are so similar.

In any case, it is very nice to see that the Camera standard is ideally suited.