ART feature requests and discussion

Here I must give praise: The possibilities of brightness correction (local and global) and dynamic range correction are very extensive, fast and partially very superior to what darktable offers!

You have done an excellent job here! Chapeau! :tophat:

6 Likes

:face_with_monocle:

Are all of the relevant keyboard shortcuts from RawTherapee working in ART? According to Rawpedia, you should be able to rotate thumbnails in the File Browser using [ and ], but it’s not working for me on ART 1.2.

One recommendation: Haze Removal could also use masking. It tends to create too strong halos in shadow areas. This could be prevented with a mask.

:point_down:

:sunglasses:

More likely a bug in the history and/or before/after features and not brightness/DR adjustments.

Sorry, @ff2000 I don’t understand what you mean.

You said

But the only issue I see in the video is when you activate before/after view: Both show the same edits. After going back and forth you finally see the comparison.
Or did I miss anything? Where is the “partially” (== buggy/unintuitive/…) showing up in the video? And where is it linked to adjustments of “brightness/DR/…”?

Did you watch the video to the end? In the end you can see the difference.

No. That was comparson to the darktable. Log tone mapping in ART is superior to filmic in darktable. Partialy doesn’t mean buggy, it means “Some aspects of DR correction” .

1 Like

the views remain synchronized until you lock the before view, which is what @s7habo did. that’s not a bug, and more intuitive than how RT works IMHO (but that’s just my opinion, of course).

I think the video might be truncated, because I only saw ART in it, there was no comparison with anything else.

Anyway, I’m glad you like it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

that’s because this is a batch edit operation, and art doesn’t have them. otherwise, the shortcuts of should be the same

@s7habo I’ve just changed the “strength” parameter from a simple slider to a (luminance) curve. I think this addresses your concern. Thanks for the suggestion! If you have the chance, I’d be happy to get feedback about this.

2 Likes

I would love to, but first I have to wait until the new AppImage is available. :coffee: :smoking:

By the way, by greying out the disabled modules, the menus become much clearer in my opinion :+1::

One question: Why is defringe in the detail menu? I thought it should be more as an additional correction after Chromatic Abberation (Raw corrections and settings)?

Lol, no. I just wanted to show how quickly one can achieve good results with ART. I might make another edit with darktable and insert it into the post. :wink:

Hello, I didn’t knew this (and I admit I seldom used snapshots in RT before). But this is actually much better than having the edit history saved! I confirm you can make multiple versions of the same photo, like oversaturated color, black&white, negative, with masks, etc. Cool feature actually, so thanks RawTherapee! :wink:

Huge thanks to RawTherapee, for sure! In this case, though, be aware that in RT snapshots are not permanent…

So I restate: Cool feature actually, so thanks RawTherapee && thanks ART for making them permanent!

1 Like

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying. Any interest in adding the ability to rotate pictures from the file browser? I find it cumbersome to open each one individually in the editor to rotate. Not sure if this is a specific use case, but I have a lot of photos that need rotating.

1 Like

no need to rotate each one individually. just rotate one, then copy the profile and partial paste, selecting only “coarse transformation”

1 Like

I’m wondering if something like this would also work in the Queue. I wanted to resize a bunch of photos in the queue and tried to use the option to apply a profile. But I only want to apply a resize, not a complete profile because the photos all had different edits. So can we do a partial paste in the Queue?
To be honest, I’ve not played with profiles much yet, so there might have been something I’m missing.

Save a partial profile containing only resize. Then apply it from the queue.

2 Likes