ART feature requests and discussion

Hi @agriggio,
Thanks for the last Update which introduces the reset tool for each module of the software.
Another extraordinary gain in ergonomics in the use of Art.

2 Likes

Another suggestion…
I think it would be useful to be able to store presets within the masking tool, mainly the colour adjustment tool that could be added sequentially without overwriting a previous setting.
For example, it might be useful to store a preset to add a blue tint to the shadows, and another to add a bronze tint to the highlights, then load them without overwriting previous colour adjustment settings. Presently, if I store it as an ‘arp’ preset, loading the preset would overwrite / delete any previous settings within colour adjustment tool.
Does this make sense? Perhaps there is already a way to do this that I have missed?
Just wondering if
a) Others would find this useful
b) It is it reasonably easy to achieve
c) Would you consider it worth the effort?
Thanks!

.CRW format is not supported. Would it be complicated to integrate it into ART? For info, I give the link to the wikipedia which deals with the format as well as a raw. This format is worn under darktable. ART does not export jpeg from RAW and does not apply any auto tone curve
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/RawTherapee

can you share a raw please?

RAW refused in pixls.us for download

Available in download for30 days

There’s no exif data and no embedded thumbnail in the file you shared:

$ exiftool crw_0453.crw 
ExifTool Version Number         : 11.85
File Name                       : crw_0453.crw
Directory                       : .
File Size                       : 8.8 MB
File Modification Date/Time     : 2020:03:09 22:51:43+01:00
File Access Date/Time           : 2020:03:09 22:52:32+01:00
File Inode Change Date/Time     : 2020:03:09 22:51:43+01:00
File Permissions                : rw-rw-r--
Error                           : File format error

are you sure the file is not corrupted?

Yes no exif in this format. This is à special file without exif like the wikipedia explain.

I have fixed the bug causing the failure to save, now it should work. you don’t get an auto-matched curve because there is no embedded jpeg preview

Thank you @agriggio ! :clin d’œil:

I love that local edits and xmp are fianlly integrated in to RT. ART is looking amazing! Thanks for the hard work.

Would it be possible to have exposure as one of the local edit options? I would find that more intuitive than looking for slope/offset/power in the color correction module.

Hi, @agriggio

I’m playing a little bit with Art right now and I have to say, this is a great tool! But what is a little confusing is that with the modules that are not turned on, you can slide the sliders and there is no visual difference between those that are turned on.

So, I push the sliders and nothing happens, and then I miss the fact that I still have to turn them on. It would be better if the inactive modules are greyed out and the sliders can only be moved when the module is switched on.

This would be a clearer visual indicator.

1 Like

Hi,

exposure compensation is slope, they do exactly the same thing. Only the UI is different (exposure compensation is measured in Ev, so logarithmic, whereas slope is linear – though the slider still operates logarithmically).

HTH

Hi,

you are not the first one to ask this, but the current behaviour is handy because it lets you change a lot of parameters without triggering a recomputation of the preview. If you are on a slow machine (like myself) or are using modules that are computationally expensive, this might save a lot of time and power. Several users are relying on this…

2 Likes

Hello, I would be happy when the edit history could be stored in the arp file, so that next time you open a photo, you see exactly what you have done (wrong). Darktable works this way and I find that practical. I’m not a programmer, but I suppose that writing the info lines in the History panel to the arp file will do.

Paul.

1 Like

The settings for the various modules are saved in the arp file. They just need to be loaded in the history panel when the image is loaded.
@agriggio if you think this is something useful, I could have a look at this.

1 Like

+1 vote from me!

1 Like

Don’t get to hot on this :slight_smile:
As i said above, ‘the settings’ for the various modules are saved in the side file. Not ‘the history’.
To load these settings in the history panel might be trivial. But it will not be the history of your previous edit. I have no idea if this history is saved somewhere.

I have personally no interest in storing the history. I much prefer having snapshots to be permanent. However, if someone wants to contribute, they’re more than welcome!

Btw:

There you go:

5 Likes

I am not really interested in this feature but:

• it could be interesting to load the settings in the history panel in the pipeline order.

• how will you manage the different snapshots stored in the side file? presently when you select a snapshot, only its name is displayed in the history, not all the settings. If you display all settings it will be a nightmare.
    Sometimes I have in the same side file snapshots with completely different settings. So I can have many histories in the same side file!

• so I come back with my suggestion to display in a specific panel the list of active functions in the pipeline order?

Not sure my suggestion will please everybody