ART feature requests and discussion

Would making color map computed from the output of the tool cause it to change with the slider? I noticed when using the false color LUT in the film simulation tool, moving the sliders in the tone equalizer would cause the color map to change. I haven’t tried the false color tool itself.

Okay, I get it.
The color map shows me on all my pictures a gradient of yellow and red in the lights and a gradient of blue and purple in the shadows. But I don’t see any gray area corresponding to the mid tones. Does this mean that the midtone slider actually plays on both shadows and lights, in a midtone value including both?

Hi @agriggio. Just thought you should know that your bitbucket wiki page is behaving strangely on a mobile browser (tried a few different browsers). When you try and select the menu in the top left hand corner to navigate to other pages, everything becomes greyed out and I can’t select anything. Seems fine on a pc. Might be out of your control but thought I would point it out.

Hi,

thanks for the notification. Oddly, I never noticed myself. However, as you guessed it’s not something I can control…

@agriggio Won’t it be better to use the term “tonal map” instead of color map ? i include a screenshot of my version 1.2.119 to show the gray keys of tooltip exposure

Thanks for the fine evolution of ART.
SM

Hi,

The thing is that, from the theoretical point of view, all the sliders affect all the tonalities in the picture. They are shaped like gaussians centered at specific EV levels, so that e.g. the “shadows” slider will affect mostly the shadows, but it will also have some effect on the “neighbours”. So the tonal map (thanks @srgmro, I agree it’s a better name) is a blend of different colours. On top of that, there’s the further effect of the “regularization” slider, that smoothens things even more (try setting it at zero to see what I mean). Therefore, you will not find pure blue, pure gray or pure yellow, but a mixture of them. So in most cases you will get a smooth gradient between blue and yellow, passing through gray. Something like this:
gradient
gradient.xcf (286.8 KB)

HTH

1 Like

Hi,

might be a theming issue? Are you using the default theme or a custom one?

I checked that, I used TwoWaBlue and I moved to Rawtherapee it is the same behavior. I checked also the 1.2.119 appimage and the keys are always gray.

ok thanks, I’ll look into that

[Feature request]
@agriggio
When the haze elimination module is activated, the saturation clearly increases. It would be very useful I think to have a general saturation slider in this module

Post in the bitbucket

Hi,
increasing saturation is actually part of the job of haze removal, because one of the effects of haze is that of desaturating :thinking:
I agree sometimes it’s too much. In these cases, you can try using the tool in “luminance mode” and see if that helps.

Yes of course and that’s what I do. I just thought that a saturation slider placed here would have come in handy

nope, sorry. There are already (at least) 6 tools that can control saturation in ART, I don’t think we need one more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

1.2.121 is OK :+1:

This is another great addition, thanks!
An instant @Joan_Rake1 rendition of bluebells in our nearby woods…

1 Like

ok :clin d’œil:

Would it make sense to compute it on the output? In its current implementation, I feel like it’s only useful right at the start of using the Tone Equalizer tool, before moving any slider. As soon as you move one of the sliders, it is no longer an accurate tonal map.
If there’s a good reason for it computing on the input, then so be it, but I feel it would be more useful within this tool as a dynamic map. Otherwise, would it not be better outside the tool next to the other masks (sharpening contrast, false color, focus mask)?

hi,

not really

In its current implementation, I feel like it’s only useful right at the start of using the Tone Equalizer tool, before moving any slider. As soon as you move one of the sliders, it is no longer an accurate tonal map.

ART doesn’t work that way, it’s not like gimp or Photoshop. there’s no “cumulative” effect in applying the same tool over and over, you always start from the same input. the tonal map changes only if the input changes, and that’s how it’s supposed to be…

Ok, fair enough. It’s still a really nice feature added, so thanks for that.
I just noticed that the tonal map did change when adjusting exposure and tone curves, so thought it would make sense, at least from a usability perspective, for it to work similarly with the Tone Equalizer, and I noticed other users were querying this too.

exposure yes, tone curves it shouldn’t. if it does, there’s a bug somewhere…