ART feature requests and discussion

Now that you talk about it I think that too, I remember using it in RawTherapee but also after I started using ART so yes…

So if it’s possible to have them back, please… :slight_smile:

No, it’s not possible to have them back. The problem is that these presets are not “universal”, they only work with certain cameras, but fail on others… the WB temp/tint values have different meanings for different cameras: they depend on the conversion matrix from camera space to XYZ, and even minor variations in the camera->XYZ conversion can cause very visible differences. That’s why they have been removed in ART, but they were replaced by camera-specific presets, when available. It might be the case we don’t have the data for your camera model… what camera are you using?

Example, sony a6000 daylight preset

Ok, I see…

I have a Lumix GX80, Lumix GX800 and a Lumix GX880 / GF10 and I don’t have the “Camera preset” for them…

I still can look for the settings Temperature, Tint and Blue/Red equalizer in RawTherapee and make my own presets in ART :slight_smile:

Thanks for looking into it and have a nice festive period :smiley:

Hello everyone,

I am wondering whether there is a way to display a vertical (or orizontal) bar to compare the “before-after editing” in the current image?

In many softwares you can display a vertical line wich splits the image in two parts: (left edited - right unedited). You can therefore move this vertical bar to compare the different part of the image just edited. E.g. with GIMP this “split view option” is available with the filters and it allows to preview the final result.
Here is the GIMP screenshot:

BTW, with ART there is a button (shift+B shortcut) “Before-After View” which accomplishes a “similar” function…
At present, I also move back-forth in the “history stack” of ART to see the changes applied while editing my image…

This does seem to help process the “-V” option :slight_smile:

diff -c main-cli.cc main-cli.cc.NEW 
*** main-cli.cc	2020-12-19 16:29:56.649345717 -0600
--- main-cli.cc.NEW	2020-12-19 16:23:38.685335165 -0600
*** 442,447 ****
--- 442,450 ----
                  case 'q':
                      break;

+                 case 'V':
+                     break;
+ 
                  case 'Y':
                      overwriteFiles = true;
                      break;

Hi,

that’s easy to fix though… Here are the steps:

1. run exiftool on one of your raw files, and look for the following lines:

0 Num WB Entries                  : 7
        1 WB Type 1                       : Fine Weather
        2 WB RGB Levels 1                 : 606 256 402
        5 WB Type 2                       : Cloudy
        6 WB RGB Levels 2                 : 652 256 375
        9 WB Type 3                       : Shade
       10 WB RGB Levels 3                 : 698 256 357
       13 WB Type 4                       : Tungsten (Incandescent)
       14 WB RGB Levels 4                 : 413 256 578
       17 WB Type 5                       : Flash
       18 WB RGB Levels 5                 : 627 256 368
       21 WB Type 6                       : D55
       22 WB RGB Levels 6                 : 570 256 403
       25 WB Type 7                       : ISO Studio Tungsten
       26 WB RGB Levels 7                 : 413 256 578

2. create a wbpresets.json file in your user’s ART folder (this is $HOME/.config/ART on Linux, I don’t remember on windows right now…), and add the following content, computed from the data above:

[
      {
        "make_model" : "PANASONIC DC-GX880",
        "presets" : [
            {"name" : "Fine Weather", "multipliers" : [2.3671875, 1.0, 1.5703125]},
            {"name" : "Cloudy", "multipliers" : [2.546875, 1.0, 1.46484375]},
            {"name" : "Shade", "multipliers" : [2.7265625, 1.0, 1.39453125]},
            {"name" : "Tungsten (Incandescent)", "multipliers" : [1.61328125, 1.0, 2.2578125]},
            {"name" : "Flash", "multipliers" : [2.44921875, 1.0, 1.4375]},
            {"name" : "D55", "multipliers" : [2.2265625, 1.0, 1.57421875]},
            {"name" : "ISO Studio Tungsten", "multipliers" : [1.61328125, 1.0, 2.2578125]}
        ]
      }
    ]

Where the multipliers have been computed by dividing each number in the data extracted from exiftool by the value of the green multiplier. For example, from:

1 WB Type 1                       : Fine Weather
        2 WB RGB Levels 1                 : 606 256 402

we see that the green multiplier, which is the 2nd one, is 256. So we divide everything by 256 and obtain 2.3671875, 1.0, and 1.5703125.

3. Start ART and now you should get your WB presets

4. Repeat for other camera models…

2 Likes

thanks!

Hi,
i wrote: ‘When I put files in the trash and go to another directory, ART ‘forgets’ the contents of the trash from the previous directory. How can I prevent that?’

And got the answer: 'When you put a photo in the trash, it is only a specific tag that is added to the photo (like stars). So you only see which photo are put in the trash when you visualize them by going back to the corresponding directory’

I have noticed that the photos also disappear from the trash when I close ART. They are no longer in the trash when I return to the directory. Strange. The ‘trash can’ tag will disappear

Hi,
when I put files in the trash, and change directory, ART doesn’t forget the files tagged as ‘trash’.
Also if I close ART, the files retain the tag ‘trash’.
But ART, in my case, doesn’t add a tag in the file .arp (as @gaaned92 says) , but create a new sidecar file (.xmp) only for deleted photos.
My version: 1.6.39, but the same with 1.6.13

Hi, The same is the case with color tags: they are not permanent, but they disappear on leaving and returning to the directory.

Maybe your program can’t add files in the folder where are the photos? ART add an .xmp file for ranking and trash status

I think I never spoke where tags were kept. I only said:

This is the generated xmp sidecar for trash flag

<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x=“adobe:ns:meta/” x:xmptk=“XMP Core 4.4.0-Exiv2”>
<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf=“http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#”>
<rdf:Description rdf:about=“”
xmlns:xmp=“http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/
xmp:Rating=“-1”/>
</rdf:RDF>
</x:xmpmeta>

And for 1 star

<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x=“adobe:ns:meta/” x:xmptk=“XMP Core 4.4.0-Exiv2”>
<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf=“http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#”>
<rdf:Description rdf:about=“”
xmlns:xmp=“http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/
xmp:Rating=“1”/>
</rdf:RDF>
</x:xmpmeta>

You can see that trash flag is only a -1 star flag

That should not be. Color tags, rank/rating tags and trash tag are written in an xmp sidecar alongside the input file. Thus they are kept from one session to the other. If you don’t have write access to the input directory, even the ARP sidecar file cannot be kept.

@agriggio I observe also that in the ARP sidecar

[General]
Rank=0
ColorLabel=0
InTrash=false

are not updated and so are surely no longer used in ART.

Thank you so much agriggio :smiley:

It was a bit hard with exiftool (I had to rename the .exe in exiftool(-a -u -g1 -w txt).exe in order to have a .txt file with the datas) but in the end it works great for my cameras :smiley:

The wbpresets.json was directly in the folder where I installed ART, I just put it elsewhere (just in case) and made a new one for my cameras :slight_smile:

So now I can play with it and personalized them or add others :slight_smile:

You can decide if you want ratings in the arp or in the xmp, just check your preferences

Thanks for the tip

Sorry @gaaned92, I misunderstood what you said… I knew about the tags inside the .arp files, so I thought you referred to them… Also I thought that such tags were unused… thanks Alberto for explain how it works :slight_smile:

The folder in in the home directory (linux) and .arp-file is writen, but the same story.

There is an .arp sidecar, not an .xmp sidecar (and there is write access). The information ‘file is in trash’ is not kept when i close ART.

I have found the problem. Ik was the (old) options-file in .config. I removed this file and ART created a new one. The problem is solved!

@alvamatik No problem.

Some more explanation

• in preferences/File Browser panel/File browser thumbnail option/load store thumbnail rating from to xmp sidecar you can choose to use either the ARP or XMP sidecar file to store the ratings

If you want to exchange rating with external program (digikam xnview)

• you must choose XMP sidecar above

• in preferences/image processing pane/metadata
    set xmp sidecar style = darktable/digikam like

@agriggio what is " metadata synchronisation with XMP sidecars " for?