ART goes towards 1.0

hi everyone,
just a quick note to say that I’m planning to call the next release of ART version 1.0. I am pretty happy with the current set of features, and I’m working on polishing some edges that are still rough. so far, I didn’t care much about backwards compatibility, but this will change with 1.0: the goal will be to fully support arp files created from 1.0 onwards without breaking anything, until at least version 2.0 comes out (for which there is no ETA though). so, if you are not happy with how some things work, this is the time to speak :slight_smile:
if someone is interested in helping with providing binaries/installers and/or setting up a basic webpage, please let me know.

thanks, and happy holidays!

12 Likes

Congrats @agriggio and have a good season yourself!

I am happy with how everything works. I find this is the quickest and most versatile raw software…

Just a few suggestions…

Would be nice to be able to turn individual local adjustments on and off with a check box:
as in the rough diagram…

For the area mask, do we still need the sliders now that it is possible to draw on the picture?

Are there any further plans to develop the area masks? Would be nice if you could see a curved shape with the lines, when you adjust the roundness, rather than a square.

Would also be nice if you could see the other shapes you had drawn within that mask, with the current shape being worked on in bold or a different colour- I guess this could be a lot of work…

Would be nice if the vignette filter could be placed somewhere else except the centre of the photo (I know you can use lens adjustment or a local mask, but not as convenient).

Thanks for all the hard work!

Have an enjoyable holiday!

thanks for the comments!

Would be nice to be able to turn individual local adjustments on and off with a check box:

sounds like a good idea, I’ll see what I can do.

For the area mask, do we still need the sliders now that it is possible to draw on the picture?

what’s the problem with having them? I can move the roundness up and leave the least used ones at the bottom, but I’d like to keep them.

Are there any further plans to develop the area masks? Would be nice if you could see a curved shape with the lines, when you adjust the roundness, rather than a square.

Would also be nice if you could see the other shapes you had drawn within that mask, with the current shape being worked on in bold or a different colour- I guess this could be a lot of work…

these are all just UI tweaks, that can be safely added in later versions without breaking anything.

Would be nice if the vignette filter could be placed somewhere else except the centre of the photo (I know you can use lens adjustment or a local mask, but not as convenient).

agreed. I’ll try adding some basic support for this (only with sliders probably at the beginning, no dragging of the vignette with the mouse – that can come later)

Hello @agriggio

Thanks a lot indeed for your efforts! :slight_smile:

“what’s the problem with having them? I can move the roundness up and leave the least used ones at the bottom, but I’d like to keep them.”

Not really a problem, just wondered if they were still used by people, which they obviously are.
Thanks look forward to other changes as they come.

Also, wondered why anchor had been removed from dynamic compression? Are you suggesting that we should just adjust the exposure first instead? Eg if you needed to brighten the shadows much more than darkening the sky…

Hi,

It was too brittle and unreliable. Sometimes a small change in the anchor point resulted in a large brightness change in the output.

Yes.

Makes sense thanks…

About lens/geometry.

• Is there still a need for the rotate function as it exists in perspective correction. The select straight line button could be placed near the three auto correction buttons.

• I would prefer that chromatic aberration and vignetting correction be extracted from the lens/geometry tab as they are not related to geometry.

hi,
you’re right that strictly speaking rotate is now redundant, but OTOH it’s a small tool and I like the fact that it’s independent from the perspective correction. so I’m keeping it around.

I don’t understand why you want to move vignetting and CA correction though. they are definitely not related to geometry, but the group is called “lens/geometry”, where / stands for “or”. so I think they belong there.

finally, I am still undecided regarding the shadows/highlights tool. I don’t use it anymore, and was thinking about removing it. but it can sometimes be useful for small final tweaks, so I’d like to collect some opinions first. what do people think?

thanks!

• shadows/highlight

I no longer use it either, so I don’t mind if you suppress it.

• dynamic range compression

I open in RT and ART the same image with neutral profile. The histogram are about the same. Then, I apply in both the dynamic range compression. The results are dramatically different. In ART, the histogram is stretched while in RT it is compressed.

• builds

@Carmelo_DrRaw did you succeed to generate appimage package?

but is it worse in art? by now it shouldn’t come as a surprise that art is not rt… different is ok, worse is not

I could not say if ART Dynamic Range Conversion is better or worse than RT DRC. They are two quite different tools with the same name.
One is compressing the dynamic as the other seems to increase the dynamic (but on some photos it compresses it).
As I was somewhat puzzled by the behavior, I seldom use it in ART compared to use in RT.
Could you explain what you modified and how to use it please?

I don’t use Shadows/Highlights anymore so I don’t mind if it is removed.

please show examples, I have no clue what you are talking about

I never found the utility of this tool both for RT and ART, so for me it is clear that you can simplified the interface by withdrawing this tool.

@agriggio

ART : starting with neutral

RT : starting with neutral

thanks for the demo – everything seems to be working as intended. if you have an example in which the new behaviour doesn’t allow you to get what you want, feel free to post more details. when I have some time I’ll try to explain what changed, but for now I’d say that the dynamic range compression tool does not simply shrink the histogram, it’s a more sophisticated tone mapping operating at different levels…

@gaaned92 @agriggio
I know very well this raw file it is one of mine. What I observed is that when you use ART, highlight reconstruction is off !!
If you put it on (blend or color) you can use the dynamic range compression tool and it works as expected.
SM