ART Profile to Correct Magenta Cast in Scanned Images of Negative Color Film

Magenta cast sometimes may occur in scanned images of negative color film. I suspect, but I’m not sure, that this may be due to difference of spectrum sensitivity of photographic printing papers and electric image sensors.
Anyway, we find sometimes some magenta casts in film scanned images, and I made ART profile for correcting them.

My profile contains Green, Red, Blue and Yellow correction layers in Color/Tone correction module of ART.

It emulates next tone curve for the magenta cast correction which I have used to use on GIMP.

I show some examples.
Example 1: original image.

Image applied this profile.

Example 2: Original image.

Image applied this profile.

It is too blueish, because the distant background is not included in this image.
So, turn off the blue layer.

You will need some tweaks of the profile depending on the image. I used to use mainly films of Fujifilm, so more tweaks will be needed in other manufacture’s film images.

1 Like

Hello, I tried your profile on some scans of color negatives and slides. Sometimes it’s OK, sometimes I needed to play with the color channels on and off. On the other hand, a color negative taken with a Mamiya 645 (I forgot the film brand) was quite off!

Here’s a Kodak slide, original version.

With your profile:

With the next photo (negative) I had to disable the red channel.

Original:

dump_018

Your profile:

dump_017

Last one, slide scan.

dump_021

And with your profile, only green and red enabled.

dump_022

As you said, the results will vary between different films and brands, but your profile can serve as a good starting point.

Regards, Paul.

I never thought of applying this profile to slide images, but it’s interesting. Anyway, I hope this profile will be helpful to correct magenta cast in your film scanned images.

Regards.

Bonjour, le fichier MagentaCapstCorrection.arp, je le mets à quel endroit pour l’avoir en profil

Which OS do you use?

If Linux: /home/{your-username}/.config/ART/profiles/

If Windows it should be (I think [maybe]): C:\Users\{your-username}\AppData\Local\ART\profiles

Merci, ça fonctionne pour moi, mais les essais ne sont pas concluants pour le moment

For tweaks of my profile…

If you feel magenta elimination effect is too weak (or strong), you may…

Select the green layer in Color / Tone Correction module and

1. adjust strength of color wheel.

2. adjust luminosity curve in parametric mask of Green layer.

3. duplex Green layer with duplicate command (strengthening only).