ART & Tumbleweed

I’m putting up a laptop for my wife: opensuse tumbleweed. I’m trying to run art 1.15-linux and it fails with:

$ ./ART

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Authorization required, but no authorization protocol specified
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

(ART.bin:22132): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0

Do I need something else?

canberra-gtk-play, libcanberra-gtk-module-common, libcanberra-gtk3-0, libcanberra-gtk3-module are installed as: version 0.30-15.23

Thanks

I have no experience with suse, sorry. Did you try building art yourself?

I use Tumbleweed and run the “official” version (agriggio / ART / Downloads — Bitbucket) without any problem. I just double-click the ART script.

No, I have not tried to compile, just used:

art-1.15-linux64.tar.xz

Almost exactly what I’m doing. Instead of doing from thunar or dolphin, I do it from the command line.

Nothing happens (ie: no message) when double clicking on ART.

Not on linux anymore, but could this be a thing?

right-click → properties
grafik

Bot ART and ART.bin are executables:

$ ls -alF ART
-rwxr-xr-x 1 froggy froggy 893 Jul 17 10:24 ART*

$ ls -alF ART.bin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 froggy froggy 14126712 Jul 17 10:17 ART.bin*

Did you try

$ sh path-to-ART/ART-1.15-linux64/ART

Yes at the terminal. That’s how I get these error messages.

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

This is the first issue. You are missing this. Since it cant load it might be why you get the other errors as well. See if you can install that module. it may be available as a stand alone, or as part of another package.

These GTK messages are “normal”, I used to have them too, but ART ran flawlessly.

This is how it looks on a fresh install in a VM:

Not normal seem to be the following lines…

I get a couple of results when I search the internet for Authorization required, but no authorization protocol specified cannot open display. But I don’t understand much of that Linux stuff.

Did you install this from the official tumbleweed repository?
or was it from here?

Use the download repository link just under the title.

I didn’t know about this repo.

Thanks

There’s a problem with ALL appimage files in Tumbleweed. There was a workaround changing permissions on lib/bin/fuser but it doesn’t work. It’s something to do with low level security or something…

I’ve pushed the package to Factory (Request 997492: Submit ART - openSUSE Build Service), this means that, in few days, it will be part of the official Tumbleweed repository :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent :smiley:

Thank you

FYI, starting from today (snapshot 20220817), ART is officially available in Tumbleweed’s repo-oss :slight_smile:

EDIT: found a bug that causes the program to segfault on startup. I’ve pushed the fix, but it will take a day or two before it reaches the update channel.

ART is now working fine on latest Tumbleweed (snapshot >= 20220820) :slight_smile:
For Leap, I’ve updated the docu at the official Wiki (agriggio / ART / wiki / Home — Bitbucket) on how to get it.

1 Like

Thank you