ART - Unwanted change of gamma

This is unexpected, I’m not really sure what is going on then. Anyway, I pushed a workaround which should take care of the issue, but I’d still like to have a proper diagnosis to make sure it’s fixed… so, forgive a few more questions:

1. how did you create the arp in the first place? Just opening an image in an editor?

2. What happens if you do “right click → processing profile operations → clear” and open it again? Do you still get the weird behaviour?

Thanks!

I download the files from an SD card to a folder on my HDD. I start ART, go to the file navigator, double click a picture and it opens in the editor. And the arp file is created.
For the second question I will have to wait until this evening as I don’t have access to my PC at the moment
Yesterday I created a personal profile with only the correct tone curve in it. I reset a picture to default profile then applies my personal profile, but as soon as I activate, for example, the tone map tool the tone curve change. I’ll try to post a video if I can.

Hmmm… there might be something strange in that profile then. If you can upload it here (whenever you are able to, no hurry!), we can sort this out I hope.

1 Like

I applied the arp to a random nikon and sony and saw the same thing so maybe not an issue with the camera data??

The issue is that the curve in the arp is different from the automatic one, but the other settings in the file say it should be the same. This confuses art. Now I was trying to understand how did the curve end up in the arp in the first place. Since @FredRX’s last post, I think this is due to some application of partial profile that is somewhat corrupted. But I need to see it to be sure

Interesting…. It does seem like a strange combination of events……

Here is the personal profile I saved yesterday
EOS_R5 - RF70-200.arp (538 Bytes)

I have just processed a few more files from the same serie and for some reason it’s far more stable than yesterday. I applied the personal profile, I could activate different tools and the tone does not change anymore. Strange.

But that’s no guarantee that it will always work. I’ve had the same problem in the past with other versions of ART, but it happened from time to time, not with every frame like yesterday.

I you need any infos, side car files or profile files just let me know and I’ll send them to you

PS: I had to wait one hour to post, because pixls.us says I’m a new user… :roll_eyes:

Hi,
I think your problem is here:

HistogramMatching=true
CurveFromHistogramMatching=true
CurveMode=Neutral
Curve=1;0;0;0.049019607843137254;0.041397564601101479;0.098039215686274508;0.11466703789884669;0.5490196078431373;0.83587935231237254;1;1

You are telling art to use histogram matching, and also that the curve is already the one that comes from histogram matching, but then you are “lying”, because the curve is a custom one… If you want to use that curve, set the values for the first two entries to false, and everything should work as usual.

OK, so I guess using Dynamic as Default Processing Profile in the preferences and create Dynamic Profile Rules according to my cameras and lenses would be the right way to use ART ?

I’ll try to master the process a little with a few trials.
In the meantime, I’d like to thank you again for your advice, your patience and the fantastic work you do with ART. I love this software!

You don’t need to use dynamic profiles if you don’t want to. The important part is not to set the CurveFromHistogramMatching entry to true in your default profile: that is meant to be an internal setting, not editable by a user. however, I agree this is error prone so I’ll rethink this for future versions

1 Like