ART - Unwanted change of gamma

Big problem for some time. When I activate a module and before changing the settings, the image on the screen suddenly becomes darker or lighter. Even though I haven’t changed any of the settings?
I’m on Linux, 1.21.2 version of ART. Processing cr3 raw.
Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for your help…

I think some modules have active settings so simply activating them will introduce a change. Others are zeroed out and so will not introduce any change until you move a slider…

What modules …

Most of the time with Color/Tone correction

There must be something with the Default Processing Profile in the preferences. I must investigate before asking further questions…

What mode…some will do nothing say standard or perceptual…but if you select sigmoid or one of the other variants you will see an edit applied without moving a slider…

Happens also with Saturation/Vibrance, I activate it and the image becomes lighter, less dark. And all sliders are at 0.

Happens with Vignette filter. I activate it and the whole picture becomes lighter, even at the center where normally the vignette doesn’t have any influence.

This is a mystery for me…

I’ll try to post some screen shots

Hi,
Please upload a raw and arp sidecar if possible, thanks

Here is a raw and the sidecar
R5_9809.CR3 (49.6 MB)
R5_9809.CR3.arp (11.2 KB)

I must be doing something wrong… but I can’t figure out what.
Here are two screenshots of the raw

There seems to be something tied to the ARP file… if I just load your image I can’t see that behaviour… But it I load the arp file then enable or disable exposure or tone eq and the image goes lighter and it doesn’t come back when you toggle the module so its like the pipeline is triggered to fire beyond the state of the edit??

It wasn’t immediately obvious what it could be

Looking again for me when I load your arp file …the status stays at processing… then if I toggle exposure or tone eq…then the processing completes and the image updates so at least in this case the arp file settings seem to stall… if this happens consistently to you it might be worth seeing if there is an update or what ever…

Auto-Tonecurve is activated but not applied when opening the photo. It then gets triggered when changing any setting and applies. But don’t know what could trigger this behaviour by accident. I can only get this by editing the arp file manually in an editor. I would maybe start from scratch and make a new default profile and see if things become better.

1 Like

Nice… I applied it to a couple of other images a nikon and sony and it behaved the same way so I think you found the glitch… not camera specific issue with metadata or some other thing… good eye…

I don’t know what you guys see on your systems. I downloaded the raw and the arp files, but I don’t see anything suspicious on my system (MacOS). Activating modules with sliders at zero doesn’t change the image at all. I’ve tried the tone equalizer, the tone curve, the vignette filter… Everything is normal here.

This:

See how the Auto-Tonecurve is activated but a standard S curve is loaded initially. But when I then make any change, the auto setting gets triggered.

1 Like

Everything is fine on my system, starting from your arp sidecar:

Thanks for the sample. I can see it here too. Can you also attach your default processing profile? I have some hypothesis on what is going on but I need more data to be sure.

TIA

Hi, thank you for taking the Time :pray:
I’ll look at it this evening.
I’ll also have to know where I can find the default processing profile in my system

-------- Message d’origine --------

Hi, if you are using the default dynamic rules, there’s no need to send me that. But then I have another question: is it possible that you generated your arp with an older version of ART, and recently tried to re-edit it with a newer one? If so, do you still the behaviour if you reset the profile to the default settings in the current version of ART and try to edit from there? (to do that: right click on the thumbnail → Processing profile operations → Reset to default).
To elaborate: the auto-matched curve is computed slightly differently. I don’t know exactly why, but it might be because either the raw crop or the color matrix for the canon R5 have been upgraded in recent versions of ART (I would need to check), and this might explain the slight difference. If this is the case, I’ll have to think of a workaround because I agree the behaviour is annoying…

I indeed use the default dynamic rules. These are new pictures so the arp file has been created with the same version of ART, the 1.21.2 linux64.
I tried yesterday evening to reset to default but the problem was still there.
You say that perhaps the color matrix for the canon R5 has been upgraded, does it mean that it might be different with pictures from a canon R6 ? Although these are also cr3 files I’ll try this evening and check if the same problem appears.

Thank you again :slight_smile: