Asemapäällikkö Cafe

Got great new lens and while taking some test shots, this cafe had nice dramatic light from the sun and darker clouds. My version is pretty much default settings I have setup for darktable and I would like to see what you can do with this to get better at my post processing. Happy playing :slight_smile:

There is about 5mm shift up in lens to correct perspective.

502A2694.CR3 (47.9 MB)
502A2694.CR3.xmp (10.6 KB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

11 Likes

502A2694.CR3.xmp (14.5 KB)

Nice photo! dt 4.4.2

502A2694.CR3.xmp (9.0 KB)

2 Likes

whereabouts in Finland is this?

Thomas, I like how you raised those shadows. My version seems too dark compared to that on those parts.

Thanks Tim! I had to be quite fast to get this one. Clouds were moving very fast and only little bit later sun was completely behind the clouds and next photo was pretty dull. Your version is much more dramatic than it was in real life. I’m maybe trying to replicate real life too closely and should try this kind of approach more often :slight_smile:

David, this one is taken in Lahti. There should be GPS coordinates in the raw file for pretty exact location (might be bit off). Building is old train stationmasters building.

2 Likes

Ah ok - didn’t think to look in there :slight_smile: I live in Kokkola. Nice shot - atmospheric, quite literally

1 Like

Good timing to get the photograph before the impending storm!

My play in GIMP.

502A2694.CR3.xmp (27.4 KB)

502A2694.CR3.xmp (31.5 KB)

3 Likes

502A2694.jpg.out.pp3 (14.2 KB)

1 Like

A couple of quick edits second one just has dehaze added…

502A2694.CR3.xmp (14.9 KB)

Should have levelled them now I look at it oh well just a quick edit…

Thanks for the play … I was coming up with what to my eyes was similar to what was already in the thread, but did not find the result pleasing. On a whim, I tried a monochrome approach, which I kind of prefer. Your mileage may vary.

502A2694.CR3.xmp (11.7 KB)

Looking at the other versions here, now I’ve done mine, my version seems to be the most contrasty/vivid. :sweat_smile:

I used a LUT from the HALDclut collection on Rawpedia - Fuji FP-100c Cool 1 – as a finishing touch but had to back of the contrast in sigmoid a little to compensate. Also some fairly heft tweaks in the CC channel mixer.

Thanks for the image - fun to play with!

502A2694(1).CR3.xmp (12.3 KB)

I went for a much brighter look.

502A2694_07.CR3.xmp (36.2 KB)

Nice to see these new versions. I need to do this more often because I already got some new ideas and also I should try to edit other peoples play raws :slight_smile:

Did also a new version. Used also gimp to remove part of that distracting sign, fixed
502A2694.CR3.xmp (17.3 KB)
persepective, cropped a little and made sky even darker.

When looking these other versions, those who use diffuse or sharpen module, what is the correct order to use presets? I have usually added first local contrast and second instance sharpen demosaicing AA-filter, but at least few versions had these other way around.

Second question what is easiest way to compare these different versions? Now I made duplicates for darktable versions and then imported different xmp’s for them. Is there quicker way of doing duplicates from many xmp files?

I think that’s the recommmended order IIRC. I tend not to think about it too much I’m afraid… but fairly sure it’s supposed to blur/smoothing first (if used), then coarse contrast then fine contrast.