Asus PB328Q monitor - Is it a good choice, given a budget?

Asus Product Page
Tom’s Hardware Review

Is it worth me getting this, or would I be better off grabbing something like a ViewSonic vp2468 to get by until prices on better monitors come down, or I can save more? This will probably a handful of years at least. The PB328Q has come down to $450. This is the upper-end of my budget. I’m open to other monitor suggestions, of course.

Gear:

• Nikon D750 and D3200
  • Laptop with a 6700k and Nvidia 980m, as well as my partner’s with a 1070
  • Colormunki Smile, though I have a friend with others I could probably borrow
  • Debian-based Linux distros, for the most part
  • Won’t be able to afford a printer any time soon. We share digitally and send out for prints

We’re not making a living at it, just enthusiasts who are studying photography and share / occasionally sell the things we make

What I will do:

• Photo work with FLOSS tools
  • Lots of work with text. I start Emacs as a server at boot, among other things
  • I will be sitting further back than most people. This ppi seems ok, testing against the 24" 1080p monitors I have at work. Getting, say, 27" 4k and scaling text nonstop doesn’t sound ideal, though I haven’t tested to see if this works better in Linux than I’ve had it work in Windows, which was rather unpleasant. Dollars-wise, it doesn’t look like 4k makes sense, given the cost of larger screens and good quality, though I’ve considered some 27" 2k screens.
  • I do not own a good TV and won’t be able to buy one. I currently play PS4 on an old 720p TV I took from a dumpster. It’s pretty bad… I’d like to be able to passably use the screen for PC / console gaming and movies, though I’m most concerned with the photo experience. So, a quicker response time is good here.
  • While 144Hz would be great, I’m happy being able to push 60. We’ll be on our current GPUs for a long time anyway.
  • I shoot lots of dark scenes and watch lots of dark movies. Being able to handle deep blacks for the first time sounds amazing. My night-shots are so bright right now!
  • Built-in speakers do not matter. I have an interface I run everything through.
  • Cost-wise, it seems that HDR that’s worth it is out-of-reach? Faked/bad HDR support seems pointless. So, given my constraints, fully covering sRGB seems plenty good-enough?

I’ve been digging through loads of resources, including the last few years of Pixls threads on monitors. Given I won’t have the money to try again for years, I was hoping to get a second opinion from people who know more than me, and I thought this question would be useful for other enthusiasts who need something a little multi-purpose, and can’t afford to drop a grand. I’m just hoping to get a screen we can actually like and that won’t hold us back like the laptop and dumpster screens we have now.

Either one looks acceptable to me. I guess it comes down to size of the display and price. Both have acceptable refresh rates and both cover sRGB, which is mostly what I look for.

I’m using a Asus PB278Q, which is older and has fewer features than the PB329Q. It replaced a 24" 1080p monitor. The 1440p along with the larger screen blows that away. I’d never go back to using 1080p. Also, not one problem with this monitor so far after about 3 years now. Good luck!

1 Like

I actually looked at the PB278Q, in part because of how much its price has dropped.

Thanks for the comments!

I think it is worth having as it has good specs and also not so expensive. Monitors like this can be easily used as a substitute of the tv and also can be used to play ps4 with good graphics.

You are quite right raysosher, it’s working great for that.

For those considering this monitor as well, I bought it and have been testing it for a month now. I’m very happy with it as a multi-purpose screen.

For photo work, it’s far beyond anything I’ve used. It’s just a far more capable screen than what I’ve had before. It calibrates way better as well. While I’d love to have the real-estate of 4k, the extra 2k gives over 1080p is so nice when editing. For me, sitting a little further back, the pixel density is perfect as well. I don’t even have to scale text, actually.

Looking at my D750 shots, comparing the screens, the difference is obvious. From what I was expecting, after reading the specs and 3rd-party reviews, I would say it holds up very well.

I have some lingering neck and upper back issues, so posture really matters for me when working on a computer. I hadn’t been working on photos very much lately, because with my 17" screen attached to my laptop I had no way to position it without causing me neck and back pain. Laptops are really terrible for this. With this screen, however, I’m just sitting back comfortably, with my head centered in the screen.

I included an in-depth review link in my original post, so you can check that out for more details on image performance from people more expert than me.

For anyone thinking to use it for gaming, for my purposes at least the pixel response time has held up. I haven’t noticed any ghosting sort of issues. I haven’t noticed any input lag issues either. And, I play some twitchy games that demand fast reflexes. I’ve tested other people’s expensive tvs and computer monitors and found them unusable because of this, but not here luckily.

I’m only looking to game at 60 fps though. If someone needed to top 100 for gaming, they wouldn’t be looking for a do-it-all monitor anyway, I would think. The lack of freesync/gsync has been an adjustment, but I’ve been handling that in other ways and it’s been ok so far. For the os compositor, be sure to sync to this monitor’s rate when using more than one. With nvidia you’re looking for vsync and to enforce the composition pipeline. Fine after that for me (Debian-family Linux).

I was worried about how 720p and 1080p signals would scale, but it has handled everything I’ve thrown at it perfectly.

It arrived with one dead (dark) pixel in a corner, but a quick massage brought it to life and I haven’t had any others die yet. The screen comes in a box substantial enough for shipping. It’s super thick because of the stand being one piece, though the screen faces out. If you open the stand-side, rather than the screen-side, you can cut back the wrap on the screen and snap the base onto it in order to lift it out. This is nice, since the bezel is small enough it’d be hard to avoid touching the screen otherwise.

The stand is sturdy. It slides up and down fairly easy (but doesn’t slip) and has a goodly amount of tilt available. However, while it does twist left and right, it takes enough pressure that it causes the base to slide on the surface I have it on. If you used something with more friction, I don’t think it would, but if that’s something you need you might want to put it on a rotating base to make it easier to spin. It does go portrait as well, which is how I’m thinking to use it once I can upgrade to a better 4k screen someday. Note, that it doesn’t click into place for portrait vs landscape, so if you have an ocd-adjacent need to have it perfectly level (as I do) it takes a little extra care, but then it stays put.

I constantly switch between inputs, but the controls on the back right work very well. A couple buttons are user selectable as well. Once you get used to it, it’s very quick to switch. If it has no signal, then you give it one, it’ll auto-select that input. If it loses signal on the active input, it’ll auto-switch to another input that has signal. I max the timeout on this and now it’s pretty convenient to control. At this point, I can use all the control buttons by feel without thinking about it.

I’ve also found the color, brightness, etc. controls sufficient to quickly reconfigure for different purposes. It has settings for 9300k, 6500k, 5500k, and 5000k color temps, which can be added to a quick button. The blue-light filter can as well, which can be nice when doing late-night non-photo things.

The picture-in-picture can be kinda interesting, effectively allowing to put to different machines on the screen at once and swap between them. You can either do a small window, with somewhat-limited adjustment, or you can split the screen in half. If you manually tell 2 computers to output half the resolution of the screen, you get a proper fit even, as opposed to when you send 2 regular landscape screens where it’ll scale them to fit. I haven’t used this too much, but it has actually come in handy a couple times. I’ve actually shared it with someone, sitting next to each other on my couch.

It only has 1 each of hdmi and display ports, but I only need the one dp for pc and I use an hdmi switch for everything else so that’s fine. Haven’t tested the audio pass-through since I use an interface. The speakers are garbage, but would suffice for notifications and light-duty up-close use when you don’t care about how they sound. I wouldn’t plan to use them for watching a movie, especially from further back. I think this will be better or worse, depending on how close you have the screen to a wall. Makes no difference for me.

Overall, I’m wildly pleased with it. I know there’s much better screens out there, but considering my budget it’s great. This wouldn’t have been possible without it being capable of handling all these different purposes, since I simply couldn’t afford more than one screen at this quality level. I’ve always lived my computer screen as my ‘tv’ for money and space reasons. Switching seamlessly from watching a tv show with my partner to studying the Filmic module in Darktable… fantastic. So, this has improved things all over. If anyone has some other question about it, I’m always happy to answer.

1 Like