autofocus issues on FUJIFILM XT5

Hi kofa
Exactly these are the issues!!!
You see how sharp the bird is on a SONY for example and NOT on the FUJI…

qmpel
Hi Thank you. I am not offended, please do not worry, why should I be? This is a discussion and I am happy with your thoughts and comments.

I actually hesitated about the H2s, but it was too big and heavy for my little hands (i could not grip to the front as i do on the 5) and i preferred the old dial to the PASM.

But the dealer did tell me that the H2s has an even better focus and the burst of shots.

Also the price was higher.

Well we live and learn. You have to try stuff to get things right. Absolutely no regret.

1 Like

The 5 was an amazing machine and It was I who could not use it.

Maybe you should compare their advertisements on the camera with that of McDonalds. A big mac on the screen panel looking juicy and delicious and what you get is that kind of whatever burger it comes onto your plate. But I guess they would say that they have something similar too: Both never expire as a product.

I miss the old days of photography. Now you just have to get new stuff every 6 months…

No you don’t

2 Likes

DPReview talks about AF performance here:

How does your experience compare?

What do you mean, exactly, when you say the body lags? Do you mean the image in the EVF? Compared to the optical viewfinder of a DSLR, an electronic viewfinder is always going to be a bit laggy.

Never trust ads to be fully honest. They might not be lying, but they do push the limits of the truth.

That’s largely nonsense. Certainly, newer lenses may have better performance, but that’s due to improved technology, not age (usually). Plenty of photographers using (very) old lenses, but still getting as-new performance out of them.

Other’s have already mentioned it, but I’ll mention it again: Make sure you have updated to the latest firmware. Because if you haven’t, it’s very possible that you’re looking for solutions to problems that have already been fixed.

Hi Terry
Thank you for your message.
Sorry for late reply, but new users have to wait 8hrs before they can reply.
I am a little bit against on line shopping considering the environment (Belgium is so densely populated and all the vans driving around are not doing any good…). Also there is no physical place or person to turn to if you have problems.
So the indoor shoot was not so great. Luckily is not for a client, but for fun.
I left the camera on all AUTO on purpose and wanted to focus on THE FOCUS. But it did a terrible job… Shot at 1/80, 1/125… Took iso 300 to 800…My mistake here.
Check these two shot. The running one is NOT close to sharp even though i PRE focused on the kids before they started the race. So normally it should have tracked them. Even the ones with no big movement are NOT sharp.

You tube, ‘read the fucking manual’ and keep practicing for me…:slight_smile:
Thank you again.

1 Like

:smile: true, thnx

Hi Donatzky
I mean when I pressed the shoot button it got kind of stuck in CH mode…it took some shots then it stopped and failed to continue on shooting. A lot of shots were missed. Several times…That is what I mean by lag.
Yes ads are not to be believed.
Thankx for all advise, I will update also.

Are you sure it didn’t track them? It’s hard to tell at this resolution, but there’s so much motion blur (definitely on all the people running) that it’s hard to tell what’s in focus… nice shot actually though, really shows the energy. Looking at the plane of focus on the ground, it looks to me like the kids are in focus. Indoor sports are really hard… :face_with_peeking_eye:

I’d suggest using shutter priority at at least 1/400 for this kind of thing. Auto ISO will have to go to at least 3200 or higher, but that’s the only way (short of flash) to get this kind of action sharp.

3 Likes

Sounds like it might be set to only release the shutter when focus is confirmed… if there’s setting for that you could try turning it off. Although then you may just get more out of focus pics, it it was struggling to track.

Edit: or maybe your SD card is too slow and the buffer was filling up? Easy to check by putting the camera in manual focus and seeing if the same pause happens. If it does it would most likely be the card.

3 Likes

I agree with Steven that the reason for the slightly unsharp faces in the running shot is most likely not the AF but the shutter speed - you are experiencing motion blur. And it is a very nice shot.

2 Likes

yep I also thought of the card being one of the problems.

I live in the island state of Tasmania and because of the remoteness we are oftened ripped off for prices compared to the mainland. I also can not see my neignbours house, so our circumstances are different. But the advice you have been given about lenses etc is just garbage from that store.

The reason I asked for an image to be posted was so I could load it into Darktable and workout all the information like shutterspeed, aperture, focal length, and maybe focus points. I would have needed the image file for that, but I can see many potential issues here. Here is my advice for future shoots like this.

To avoid subject blur of people running you need 1/500th of a second or maybe 1/250th if desperate due to lighting. So the running shot here is more about subject blur than focus.

I am unsure what focal length of lens you have used, but I presume it was a long lens and the aperture was wide open. Both of these factors give very shallow depth of field and make focus critical. Not much a photgrapher can do about that except close the aperture down if lighting conditions allow.

The ISO for these sorts of shots and this sort of lighting conditions needs to be very high. It is easier to deal with noise later in editing than any form of blur. I suspect your camera would give great shots at 1600 and 3200 ISO settings. If I am correct your camera is ISO invariant which means the noise from 100 to 1600 ISO is no different. I will stand corrected if sometone who owns your fuji camera knows better. But don’t be afraid of high ISO when shooting sports.

5 Likes

Thank you so much Terry!

And I am not setting all auto again. IT IS A MESS. So all in all it was also my fault. Thx! Take care.

I had to pop into town earlier today, so I took my XT-10 in for test run. The autofocus most certainly seems snappier with the AF+MF setting turned off — I also had the facial recognition turned on, so I turned that off as well.

1 Like