Automating PhotoManagement for e-commerce

Hi there, i would like to automating process of exporting images of my ecommerce.
I explain:
i sell photographic gear and i have an e-commerce. Every day i receveive more products and i have to take picture of them, exporting with watermark and rename it with its serial code.
For every product i take 3/4 picture of them.
Now i’m importing all files with lightroom and for every set of 3 images i export them with the same “tag”.
I would like to switch to open source so i’m looking a way to automate this process (using command line for example or some other way.

Thank you for your help

best regards
Francesco

You can easily add tags in RawTherapee or darktable. If you want to automate it, you need to correlate the file names to the tags you want to add. You could use a spreadsheet or CSV to do that, then write a script to apply the tag, but you still have to do the correlation by hand.

Depending on how much postprocessing you need to do on an image. I would use a bit the following. Wich could be but together in script.

Use dialog (or zenity) to ask for the serial code,
create a directory with that serial code,
use gphoto for tethered shots, and let it download the images in the freshly created directory,
when done use imagemagick to apply a watermark
and then rinse and repeat

I don’t shooting raw and doing the rawprocessing is needed for e-commerce shots. but i might be wrong.

This would just create a nice directory with all the serialcodes as directory and containing the files.

1 Like

If the lighting is good, he could probably just shoot JPG.

When I worked at a studio, we had a floor template for the lights. All the processing was automated because the lighting was always the same. This could apply here too, process one image, create a preset and be done with it.

Personally, I would use dcraw (my own hack of dcraw that doesn’t clip on auto-brighten), then ImageMagick to watermark and whatever else needs doing. If you don’t need manual intervention, this would give an automated batch workflow.

But those are the tools that I know fairly well. I expect the other tools discussed here, such as RawTherapee and G’MIC, would also work.

Wow!!! Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate your suggest.
So just another information. What about the logic of my application.
Should i take shots of all my product and then manipulate (in the way u suggested me), or should i manage one shot per time? (create folder, take shot, manipulate it?) what would you do??

THANK YOU SOO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT

The trick is to develop an efficient and effective workflow. This might be:

1. photograph all the products

2. give the photos to a computer

3. the computer does its work while you have coffee, lunch, or whatever.

But maybe the computer work is fast, and it can do all the work for one photo in the time it takes for you to take the next one. If so, then a tethered workflow would work well. I don’t do studio work, so can’t advise on that.

Because the pc should link the photo to the serial code. I could create a table and take picture in order and than manipulate in the way we discussed. But i don’t know if it could be better to implement this workflow if the time i save is very little

This is not quite the same thing, but I do use darktable for watermarking and resizing images for social media.

I use a combination of description and publisher fields of the metadata editor for watermark, title for filename etc, and I have an export preset that adds a certain style to the image, resizes it and throws it to a certain folder.

That style includes a watermark that uses the metadata given.

Not sure if this is similar to what you are looking for but… :slight_smile: