Average colors after sampling 1,000s of images

Might be nice to turn this into a community contributed database. What do you think?

12 Likes

Sounds very cool, but Lobsters is not a readable body font :wink:

2 Likes

Good point. That’s been on my mind, so I appreciate your insight.

@harry_durgin Could you give a quick run-down of how to use this chart. I’m not sure I absolutely know. Is it you find the reference you are looking at such as bricks on a roadway and move the white balance to suit the lab numbers on the chart above that point. Would I then have to try to average it out if say it was sunny sky in the pic too. Or would you just use 1 specific point and stick with that. Thanks.

1 Like

@naturalblue You’re on the right track. I can often find a reference point and use the white balance to get closer to it.

Additionally, my photos often have different areas of lighting. Especially when there are foreground and distant subjects. So I find myself adjusting the color balance in 1 part of the image differently based on those needs. Shadows may also require a separate treatment. To get more fine grained sometimes I use the tone curve combined with drawn and parametric masks. If it’s a simple adjustment based on tone, you can use the color balance too. To adjust just 1 hue region, I also use the hue adjustment option in the color zones module. This can be very powerful when combined with the parametric + drawn masks.

I really enjoy working in Darktable and find color balance to be a fun challenge. So I don’t mind at all getting more hands on with it.

Your comment helped clarify my post and I really appreciate that, thank you.

No bodger. Really like your workflows and looking forward to more. Hopefully short specific module based ones :wink: