Average stacks of travel pictures

One day, I had the idea to try stacking all the pictures I took from traveling into some cities, just to see what the average colors/shapes of a city are.
Here are the results, after reframing and resizing all the pictures (I think I used Imagemagick from a batch script):

Paris:

New York:

Venice:

I like the artsy outcome. I could be interesting to compare stacks form the same city but at different seasons of the year, to see how colors change.

10 Likes

These are awesome, the textures are great!

1 Like

Yes, really interesting colors and awsome textures. May I suggest to take one of the stacked photos and use G’MIC stylize (e.g. in GIMP) and apply your stack as a style?
Could look like this:

For demonstration of the effect I used this image by Kingofthedead cc-by-2.0.

1 Like

Very nice!

Reminds me of this:

https://patdavid.net/2013/05/mr-presidents.html

Good idea!

Indeed Pay David’s article was an inspiration.

1 Like

I would like to see such result :-).

Here you are:

2 Likes

Really cool! I like the trees a lot.

Thanks! The original for comparison:

1 Like

The second series shows a really interesting effect. Like Thomas, I also like the trees best.

Have to admit though that I prefer your first series a whole lot better: Seems to have a toned down abstract expressionism thing going on that I really like. Especially the first one.

1 Like

I agree, my first intention was to to sort of summarize what I captured during my city travels and I really like the expressionism vibe that emerge from these averaging stacks.