Backing Up the Database File(s) ?

I won’t go into the grisley details here; but, I had a crash that caused me to need to replace the Database file with one I thought Synchredible had been backing up for ages.
I have never had Synchredible let me down with any other kind of file.
When I went to swap in my backup file, I found everything to be reverted to the date that I began backing up the file and it was way behind the times.

For whatever reason, Synchredible had been providing a backup report every morning at 3:30AM, but the file was exactly the one it first copied there way back when.

The File Modified date of the Database file is up to date on the one in the working folder; yet, the date of the one in the backup folder is the date I started the backup.

Am I going to have to drag/drop this file manually on schedule; or, how am I going to get it to replace the one in the backup folder as I had thought it had been doing all along ?

Like I said, no matter the file type, Synchredible has never failed me like this before; it has to be something about the digiKam Database file that is causing this behavior.

If you’re using the digikam defaults, the sqlite db is just a file.

Also you need to test restore your backups next time and make sure it works.

1 Like

After the initial panic, and dreading having to restore about a million tags and albums, I stumbled around and found a second digiKam folder, this one in what would be “My Pictures” on an unadulterated machine. Within this folder was a second set of Database files, these Modified Date two days earlier than the corrupted ones that were in the folder where I told digiKam to store them. This two-days-earlier file had somehow missed being affected by the crash. I copied it into the working folder, fired up digiKam, and all my missing Albums and Tags returned.

I did not know that, for whatever reason, digiKam was making two different sets of dataBase files in two different locations; one set a couple days older than the other.

Is this double sets of Database files in completely different locations standard procedure for digiKam ?

I am going to periodically check these two locations and compare time-stamps and see if it continues this two-day offset behavior. It sure saved me from grief this time.