Backup Software

Does anyone know of backup software that will recognize when a change is made to a file and only backup that file when a change is made to it?

Not looking to set up a schedule as to when to back up as I’m not on computer daily to edit.

Thank you

rsync, robocopy

1 Like

You could setup syncthing. There is an option to keep older versions for a basic backup (!= synchronization).

Otherwise I recommend restic. It’s fast, very good at incremental backups and deduplication. But you need to setup a cron job / scheduled tasks, e.g. at login.

1 Like

Schedule exists but it can be manual too.

You may want to check the build in “Backup” and “Timeshift” but these are for Linux - not sure what you are using.

1 Like

Syncthing is very flexible in this point. I am using it to distribute, synchronize and backup my files between various devices I got (2 Desktop PC, Notebook and Smartphone). My personal files are synchronized between all devices, bigger archives like my RAW-files are synchronized between the two desktop PC.

For a simple backup solution you could use a cheap Raspberry Pi with an external hard drive connected as a backup storage with syncthing. Much more flexible than a NAS.

1 Like

I do use syncthing a lot but it is not a backup. At least I can’t see it as such.

I would advise against syncthing as a backup solution. Without past snapshots, it won’t prevent you from losing all data once you sync deletions.

Borg-Backup or appropriately setup rsync, or arq, or restic are better solutions for backup.

My borg has continuous monthly snapshots from ever since I started using it, many years ago. Despite changing operating systems and file systems and computers and everything several times in the meantime. I can highly recommend it.

(syncthing is great for file synchronization, though)

1 Like

It sounds like synchronization is the better bet. I just want to be sure that a file i just edited, is stored on an external drive as well as my computer.

it depends on what you want. When synchronizing, if you accidentally delete a file, then the sync happens, the file is deleted in both places. Sync is not a backup.

3 Likes

These two points are worth reading a few times. Syncing is one thing, backing up is another.

I’m personally a fan these days of restic but i know some others love borg.

I’ve got daily snapshots going back weeks that only take up as much space as files I’ve changed. You could set it to run on a schedule every hour (or less). It’s fast at finding differences and only needs space to store the diffs.

2 Likes

Good point. I really want copies of the files that I edit. Can’t afford to lose a synchd file if I delete a working copy by mistake.

I use the btrfs filesystem and its incremental send/receive capability.

2 Likes

my solution is

# The last / in source directory means don't create A6300 directory again under Destination A6300 directory
    /usr/local/bin/rsync -avE --exclude=.DS_Store "/Volumes/HackSSD/A6300/" "/Volumes/DevToshiba/A6300"
    /usr/local/bin/rsync -avE --exclude=.DS_Store "/Volumes/Data/A6300/" "/Volumes/DevToshiba/Data/A6300"

# in this case below NO / after darktable means create if not present darktable directory under DarkTabe Backup directory & copy
    /usr/local/bin/rsync -avE --exclude=.DS_Store "/Users/raj/.config/darktable" "/Volumes/DevToshiba/DarkTable Backup"

This is part of a script which is autorun when I plug my USB backup drive and it will not delete any files in the backup drive only backup modified and new files. I am on OSX Big Sur

I’m also a great fan of borg. I make an automatic daily snapshot of my data and store it encrypted “in the cloud” (my own server). No problems for serveral year.
In addition, I sync the data from time to time to a second computer in my home with rsync. Just to be sure :wink: .

Put another thing up:

For years and years I use rsnapshot.
It is actually a script using rsync in the background.

Files can be read directly, only native Linux tools are used.

Is the original question related to a specific operating system?
I personally like multiple backup methods:

• Synced copy on a local drive (internal or USB)
  • Synced copy on one NAS drive
  • Synced copy on another NAS drive (different location)
  • Versioned backup (reverse incremental backup) on local drive

On Windows I am using FreeFileSync, Hardlinkbackup, AutoVer and Syncovery.

1 Like

I use autover with my xmp files…that way if I screw up I can go back in time so easily to any version of my edit…

I should give this a try. I use rsync to external USB but I also do combine it with periodic duplicati for .xmp and a cloud version.

I use rsnapshot as well, but the original question was:

As far as I know, none of the tools mentioned recognise when a change to a file is made. That could be done (al least Linux) with some kind of filesystem watcher/trigger, can’t it? I’m not aware of any backup program doing it that way though.

I am not sure I am grasping the point here. Even if the FS would detect file change - it would need an action to make the snapshot (it does not make snapshot by itself so a user can somewhat step back every single transaction).

Since the user has to initiate the action (based on schedule or manually) what is the difference between FS approach and backup approach?

So yes - IMO backup does provide the functionality as described in the original question. It is rather - what tool works most elegantly for the user (and each has pros and cons).