Basic semi-automated style for darktable 3.0/filmic

First of all: Thanks for these live sessions, much appreciated.

A (bi-)weekly or even monthly live session, preferably based around a specific theme, would be more than welcome.

1 Like

Maybe you could collect your dt for dummies and this style here in one sticky post like „DT 3 - Getting started“ or something like this. Then one could post this link whenever somebody outside of this forum has a question ( or maybe also collect the tutorials like Bruce Williams). I think this may reduce the number of redundant posts ?

I missed the live stream and yesterday night I watched the first 30’, and I must say: Wow! The autofilmic style is just fantastic! Together with those tips on keyboard shortcuts that work together with the mouse wheel to adjust on the fly exposure, blacks, saturation etc it really is a super-quick way to edit a bunch of photos and get them all in the same ballpark. I tried it straight away on a few photos of mine and magically I had them all balanced (some were a bit overexposed, some underexposed etc) and nicely processed.

I’ve missed the explanation on why the local contast module is used instead of (for example) the clarit preset in contrast equalizer, but I have another 1.5hrs to watch… (I had the impression local contrast wasn’t recommended by the man himself, Aurelien…)

In short, thanks (once again!) to @anon41087856 for his great work and efforts. I’m reassessing my finances these days but I’ll make sure to make space for a monthly contribution to Aurelien.

4 Likes

Only slightly related, but: Aurélien, are you by any chance taking suggestions for videos? I’d really like to hear your take on Color Balance! Especially because the manual is a bit sparse on that module.

1 Like

You mean https://darktable.gitlab.io/doc/en/color_group.html#color_balance ? it’s one of more documented modules (I think filmic has more documentation).

3 Likes

@johnny-bit @auxym Francis I think the 2.6 release blog post on the website had a really nice walk through…that in addition to the documentation should get you started also I think @7shabo Did video where he demonstrated using only the CB module to edit a few photo’s…just FYI

This is not an explanation, just a clue to where it came from.

This is an imitation of the technique used for video editing in the film industry.

This is also used in the Blender, for example.

Here is a description of the technique:

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/compositing/types/color/color_balance.html

3 Likes

@s7habo
Would you be willing to post the edit you did on the woods scene here? Or maybe it is posted somewhere else? Although Aurelien was in favor of a more subdued approach, I liked what you did.

IMG_6453_01.CR2.xmp (12,8 KB)

:call_me_hand: Thanks very much.

I can’t get it to load; I am running darktable-3.0.1-win64.exe. Your thoughts?

Ah! My mistake. I use developer version. I don’t think that’s gonna work.

I appreciate you’re trying. I have been studying the work of the others and am learning a lot. I figured out where in Pixels they are.

Hello Aurélien P.

When will it be updated with Filmic V4?

Argh, users never sleep. I suppose it’s not really needed with filmic v4 anymore. Need to think about that.

5 Likes

I assumed that the setting of auto-applying scene-referred took it’s place.

Thanks for answering

Is Auto-filmic - Aurélien Pierre.dtstyle recommended to use in 3.2.1? Or does it interfere with the display-referred mode?

What would be best practice here?

1 Like

filmic isn’t for display refered mode, it’s more geared towards scene refered mode.

Best bet would be to refrain from using it in dt 3.2.1 since scene refered mode pretty much automatically does “the good thing” ™. (But I’ll let @anon41087856 correct me :wink: )

1 Like

I think it will interfere with the resulting output, yes, because then you’ll have both filmic and base curve activated, which is contradictory in terms.
Either you choose to work in display referred mode and do not use filmic, or you choose scene referred.
At some point, I was applying the style 95% of the times, so I choose none mode (since the style would be activating filmic and some other modules anyway).
Now, you should be aware that the style is not using the latest filmic version, so, if you change it to 4, I guess you’ll have to tweak it again.

1 Like