Batch denoise_cnn using BIMP not working

@rich2005

May I know if you could share the test images you have been using?
Of course only if they are not part of your private collection.
Just want to rule out the potential file size factor in further tests.

Thanks,

I am sure that the image size in pixels does make a difference, this is the noisy image

Small image for speed in the demo, and the gmic setting using noise type heavy.

There is always a possibility that with a very large image and the default soft setting, there is not much visible change.

You find on other forums, …this does not work / that does not work… The user never questions themselves. In this case a nice alternative using command line gmic given, so not a problem if BIMP does not “work”

edit: Going back to file size. The default jpeg for BIMP is 85 quality (like the GIMP 2.8 default) Add a final change format and compression procedure and bump up the quality setting if the 30 MB down to 8 MB is a concern.

2 Likes

With test images thanks to @rich2005 , I managed to run a few tests after hitting “update neural network”.

• The BIMP workflow works about just right with default “Heavy” setting on the small sized test image on Linux(flatpak) and Win11, like what @rich2005 had demonstrated on both Kubuntu and Win10.
  • With this part clear, I ran the workflow again on my 25.6MB JPG with “Heavy” setting. Well, the effect of the denoise is quite clearly. The noise is much less and some details is slightly blurred. This means the workflow of BIMP and G’MIC-Qt plugin don’t have issue at all!

It is very likely the why I was under the wrong impression that things “not working”. I just wasn’t looking close enough! The noise on my image came from high ISO, which after processing by the camera itself, those don’t present evenly. Some areas are obvious, some are not.

Then I re-read what @MrQ has mentioned about “Preview”, I also think that area has potential to improve. Allow me explain:

In G’MIC-Qt preview, even the “Soft” module seems to show a clear difference at “100%” zoom level.

However, in the final picture comparison, it’s just so hard to spot the differences at “100%” zoom level between original and denoised one, unlike what was previewed at 100%

(original on the left, soft result in middle and heavy result on the right, at 100%)

However, it became relative easy to notice the change from original to soft once zoom to “200%”, which I didn’t try before. At this zoom level the view seems to match what the “Preview” at “100%” does:

(original on the left, soft result in middle and heavy result on the right, at 200%)

Well, I’m not trying to make excuse for not look hard enough before. But I think it might worth to take another look on the zoom scale of the “Preview” window. Something there doesn’t seem to be right…

Finally, I’m very grateful for guidance, patience and knowledge @rich2005 and @grosgood shared here. Truly amazing community, many thanks!

Hello, gmıc background removal with Bimp there a benevolent person who can share the screen with me step by step collectively?If there is a good expert on this subject, I am looking for a benefactor who can help me with a detailed screenshot about where to click and what to do by screen sharing by screen sharing for each step.I am using windows 11.I was so bored, I could not reach the result. I want to edit my photos for e-commerce, if possible, I want to remove the background of 100 photos at the same time.