Beginner post, help to find a solution for my software crash.

Hi my name is Mariah and I am new in this forum. I am a photographer and also a graphics designer and I do it for a living. I am using Gimp for more than 3 years now but suddenly when I downloaded the latest version it crashes. Is it because of my laptop specs?, or it can be something else?. Please help me out here.

Hi Marian, welcome!

You’ll need to give us way more information about what is happening for us to effectively help you.

What operating system do you use and what laptop? What version of gimp is crashing? Gimp will.often write a file that has crash information in it, can you locate that file?

I do not actually have the crash information now as I have deleted the software and now I an outside. I can tell you this that I am using windows 10 pro on my HP pro book 440 go. It has core i3, 2 gb external AMD graphics and 8 gb ram. Please tell me is my laptop too old for this now?

You laptop should be sufficient to run gimp.

As you have said that my laptop config is up to the mark, does this mean that the new upgrade is causing the problem?

Hi @Maria_Hernandez and welcome!

Just an odd idea, to try to pinpoint your dilemma:
from where did you get the update?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Hi Claes, thanks for putting an interest in my post. I have recently downloaded the Gimp 12.10.12, and after that it does not work on my laptop. I would really appreciate if you help me out.

From where did you get the update?

From techradar as far as I remember.

Please always use the installers from gimp.org.

@Maria_Hernandez if you want help you will have to put more effort into describing the problem. These are universally-applicable requirements for getting help with any program, all points equally important:

1. Always provide the exact version of the program in question, your operating system, and RAM. (provided)
  2. Accurately describe the problem. “It does not work” and “it crashes” are too vague.
  3. Describe the steps to reproduce the problem.
  4. If relevant, provide an uncropped screenshot, and sample files.

See:

Hi Tobias, when I visited their link they said it would be safe to download from their website, thanks I would download it from the original site.

Thank you Morgan for your kind advice. Actually I am a very new user and I do not know everything professionally. You would notice that I have gave my laptop information in the comment area, now I really think that this might be problem that had occur due to downloading from an unknown website, though they claim to be safe.

Does it work for you now?

Actually, yes it working now, maybe I was using the wrong software all this time. Thanks a lot for your help, you actually grabbed the actual problem that was going on all these time. Thank you for your time.

Good!

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

By the way Claes can you tell me why exactly the software from that website did not work?. They are offering the latest one and I really wanted to use it.

What is the proper greeting in your neck of the woods?
Namaste? Or Namaskar? Or…?

Actually, no, I cannot.
The latest and safest one really ought to be from the source itself,
i.e. GIMP - Downloads

They are offering the latest

Ah, but what “they” say might not actually be true…

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Its Namaste if you go into a Hindu living society.
Thanks you for your reply, I also agree that what they sometimes say is not true at all.