Birches on Christmas morning

Birches on Christmas morning_PC250107.ORF.xmp (14.1 KB)

7 Likes

is this in in Finland? just curious where :wink: love the contrast of the sun and the snow

Nice, thanks!

PC250107.ORF.xmp (12.1 KB)

6 Likes

Thank you for a beautiful photograph which I have no doubt spoilt!
I tried two different approaches, neither of which achieved what I had in mind.
Done in GIMP. The first I tried to emphasise the colours while keeping the snow from becoming too blue.
The second, a black and white version, but re-introducing the merest hint of colour.

2 Likes

Great Scene! Thanks for sharing.

birches-on-christmas-morning-PC250107.ORF.xmp (14.8 KB)
dt 3.8

4 Likes

birches.morning.orf.xmp (21.6 KB) darktable 3.9

I really love the variety of edits this Play Raw produces!

1 Like

ART

1 Like

My version of GIMP 2.10.30 LAB

1 Like

Indeed, I really enjoy it too! There are so many different ways to view this scene.

The lighter ones are the closest to my memory of the scene.Tthe darker ones by @Jade_NL and @heckflosse certainly convey a very different but powerful story.

Finland indeed, somewhere quite near Tampere :slight_smile: And thanks!

I got somewhat inspired by some Vallila designs while taking and editing the picture… :smiley:

1 Like

They do. My first edit was all about bright warm yellows vs darker cold blues. The sun is a bit of a challenge to get right, though.

1 Like

PC250107.pfi (46.7 KB)

A simple edit with sigmoid tonemapping and @ilia3101 saturation method adapted to work with the rgb ratios
https://discuss.pixls.us/t/3-4-scene-referred-workflow-bad-bokeh-highlights-reconstruction/22135/60

pixel =(rgb-y)*sat_fac+new_Y

3 Likes

I hadn’t seen any renditions similar to how I envisioned it, so this is my take with Filmulator:

• Auto CA Correct 1
  • Highlight Recovery 2
  • Exposure Compensation -5/6
  • Temperature 5125 (to warm it up to roughly daylight WB)
  • NR on
  • Chroma NR 22 (both for noise and to help tame color fringing)
  • Shadow Rolloff Point 0.0407 (to crisp up the shadows)
  • Drama 59
  • White Clipping Point 0.526
  • Shadow Brightness 567 (to help lift the midtones in opposition to the shadow rolloff tool)
  • Highlight Brightness 1000 to boost the sky

Overall I feel this captures the warmth and brightness of the sun in contrast to the shadowy blue snow.

2 Likes

PC250107.ORF.xmp (10.4 KB)

I feel like if you’ve overblown the highlights, then show it in grand style. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s a very good rendition of the highlights indeed! @CarVac’s result is also pretty impressive.

Here’s another try of mine. Tried to emphasize the blue patches of the sky a bit more while also rolling off the chroma of the red areas for a more natural look. Added a final “diffuse or sharpen” instance to recover a bit of the local contrast that was lost when I aimed for a quite light look.

2 Likes

Very nice image. Is this method producing good results for you?

It’s just a variation on taking the gradient of the curve, so it’s not that special. But I like getting mentioned :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Amazing image, thank you! I went for a dreamy and creamy edit. :slight_smile:

RT5.8 dev

PC250107.jpg.out.pp3 (29.9 KB)

Happy New Year, everyone!

9 Likes

@flannelhead Thanks for the image. I am partial to birches because I have one in my front yard. Limp like Charlie Brown’s Christmas tree but a survivor.

1 Like

Happy New Year! This is a very beautiful one, very light and achieves a certain “3D look” in the trees despite the creaminess. Thank you!

I have tried to load your jpgs as sidecars without success. Is it me or do they not include the sidecar? If not, I’d be interested in seeing them.