Blacks vs Shadows

Hey :wave:,

I’m a bit confused how I should use the Blacks and Shadows sliders in the Tone Equalizer module. Coming from Lightroom, I would assume that I would use Blacks to set the black point but that seems to be the Black point compensation slider in the Exposure module.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! :pray:

I’m not at all well up with ART, although I like it, but I believe the Blacks slider is targeting the darkest regions of the image in the same way as the Shadows slider affects the not-quite-so-dark parts of the image, i.e. adjusting the brightness without loosing local contrast.

In case this helps!

4 Likes

Yes, it’s simply another darker “band” on the tonal spectrum, as it were. The pivot slider (is that what it’s called? I’m on my phone right now) can be used to move the bands relative to the image and the regularization slider can adjust the steepness of the transition “slope” between the bands.

1 Like

If you check “Show tonal map” at the bottom of the module, you’ll see where each slider will affect the image, based on the tonal ranges. If your image doesn’t have too much very dark areas (purple color on the tonal map) then it’s likely that playing with the Blacks slider will not do much.

2 Likes