Blank spot in colour correction wheel

Excuse the bad photo in terrible light, of a red kite over our garden.

Trying to give the white-out sky a hint of blue using the colour similarity mask and the colour wheel, and I found a blank area in the colour wheel, between about 5.15 and 6.15 on the clock. If I want a pink or green sky, no problem, but in that area of the blues, no change is made. Note the pointer in the colour wheel and the colour pick values in the image:

CR3 and arp attached.

IMG_4724.CR3 (16.7 MB) IMG_4724.CR3.arp (11.3 KB)

Has anyone else noticed this?

Many thanks

Barry

Hi,
the wheel operates in (essentially) linear RGB, which is not perceptually uniform. So, the (intensity of the) effect of the adjustment depends on the hue you are tweaking. Also, your target area is getting clipped on output. Fortunately, you can recover it using the log tone mapper:

IMG_4724.CR3.arp (10.8 KB)

Thank you for the swift response! I don’t entirely understand the explanation but I like the end result :slight_smile: I have not used log tone mapping before, but it seems really useful for retrieving pics taken in very flat light. More reading to do… Thanks again.

Barry

what I meant is that “adjustment segments” of the same length in the wheel will have different effects on the “intensity” (i.e. saturation) of the applied color cast depending on the angle of the segment (i.e. the hue):
Screenshot from 2021-01-17 17.45.59

In this case, I used it to avoid clipping the sky, to show that the color is indeed there…

Ahhh, ok, I understand. There are still many large sink holes in my understanding :roll_eyes: Work in progress… Thanks again.