Blown out xtrans raw files wanted

Will likely start work on a highlight reconstruction algorithm also for xtrans images. As I don’t have such a camera I am in need for good example with eithee

1. Lots of small specular highlights
  2. Blown out large parts as in sky or clouds
  3. Blown out parts on dark background like sunset images
  4. Arteficial lights with different colors

Nothing promised yet

9 Likes

PM sent :slight_smile:

I’ll try to get some this weekend when I go on the usual photo walk. I think I can simulate 1-3 quite easily, 4 is out of my reach though.

1 Like

I’m on the road at the moment, and thought, “this is easy, I bet I shot loads of overexposed stuff”. Alas, it seems that I tried very hard to control my highlights, and anyways the weather was more on the overcast side so far.

Nevertheless, here are three pictures for you, from a long-ago blog post of mine. As such, you may use them as CC-BY-SA:

DSCF3861.RAF (21.9 MB)

DSCF6535.thumb
DSCF6535.RAF (20.6 MB)

DSCF0034.RAF (15.0 MB)

(wow, uploads are slow on this mobile connection)

I bet this one from yesterday night is blown out a bit:

DSCF0610.RAF (18.0 MB)

(Also CC-BY-SA)

OK, enough food to digest right now!

If you need more, let me know. I have an X-T20.

This might be a useful one as well. I have some more from the same session, under different conditions but it seems like bastibe has got you covered for now. Let me know if more are needed eventually

yes.

For those of you who can compile dt master there is a testing PR for xtrans opposed inpainting.

6 Likes

Thanks for your work, I’ll compile and make some tests tomorrow.

inpainting + filmic

inpainting
Here there’s some magenta artifacts in “busy areas”(dunno how to describe) like in the stairway on the water tower.

color

inpainting

color

inpainting (color gave the same result, but it’s an easy image)

5 Likes

Could you share the water tower image? This is exactly a kind of image i don’t have yet.
(very thin dark structure in blown out sections)

Sure, here you go:
DSCF3908.RAF (25.8 MB)

Yes - that’s the kind of border issue that was expected. I think we can fix that. Otherwise the color correction seems to be ok,

2 Likes

Yeah, color correction is looking pretty good and very natural looking

1 Like

As the opposed means highlights algorithm now works fine for xtrans I am working on segmentation based recovery for xtrans.

What I need to verify the quality of the algo on xtrans are more images to test.

Come on fuji friends, if you want something really good we need your help!

We need fotos with large parts of the image blown out, like sky and clouds. In bright light and also classic sunset images. Or indoor with arteficial blue or red lights.

Perfect would be images with dark structures in the sky, window frames, power lines, orangeries…

Look out for badly exposed images in your collection and share!

4 Likes

Sunset:
DSCF8597.RAF (21.5 MB)

Blown highlights on textured rock:
DSCF8663.RAF (28.4 MB)

Here are 3 bracketed images that can be useful because the darker ones can give a ‘ground truth’ for the blown highlights:
DSCF7510.RAF (22.7 MB)
DSCF7508.RAF (22.9 MB)
DSCF7509.RAF (24.6 MB)

Sun through lots of trees:
DSCF2362.RAF (27.0 MB)

Above images are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)

2 Likes

The problem I had was finding poorly exposed pictures that were worth saving. :wink: Here are a few staged ones I just took for you .

LED ‘Edison bulb’. Bulb is ‘4000k’, tiles are white and approximately teal
DSCF0314.RAF (21.3 MB)

Window with latch and screen:
DSCF0322.RAF (27.4 MB)

Complex light fixture. Bulbs are ‘3000k’:
DSCF0323.RAF (23.7 MB)

Above images are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)

Here are a few:

DSCF0075.RAF (26.2 MB)
DSCF0074.RAF (21.2 MB)
DSCF5466.RAF (25.6 MB)
DSCF5377.RAF (26.6 MB)
DSCF5330.RAF (30.1 MB)

I also have a full training set for my LUTs with 80 exposure series. I will make that image set available to you just as soon as it finishes uploading. It is a bit big (4.5 GB).