Brenizer style portrait

A few days ago @patdavid posted a panoramic shot from LGM 2014 in Leipzig. Now, I happen to have a stitched something from the same even myself that I processed a long time ago (using darktable and hugin) but that I never happened to post. Mostly because I wasn’t 100% satisfied with the result – some stitching errors, and some issues due to movement of the subject. Anyway, here it is. A Brenizer style portrait of our beloved (forum) Leader. Shot at f/1.8 with an 85mm lens on a full frame camera.

I didn’t cut away the black borders on purpose as that would remove Dot which would be a pity.

The whole thing is assembled from 23 images.

Lessons learned:

• tell the people in your image that you are taking a panorama and that they should try to not move for a second
  • take even more photos from the ground and surrounding scene so that cropping away the black borders doesn’t lose too much important stuff.
  • Hugin is hard.
10 Likes

I’ve been trying to wrap my head around hugin for a while, I see the power but I can twist the knobs the right way :frowning:

It helps to start small sometimes and work your way into larger or more complex stitching projects, I think.

It’s not uncommon for me when stitching just a few frames to manually define my control points by hand (it’s really only a handful that are needed sometimes).

I really think this result is neat, personally. Almost looks unreal/fake. :slight_smile:

Oh, I always use hand set control points exclusively. I don’t even know how to get them set automatically. :thinking:

What I really like is the frame (I mean, besides the subject :wink:). It tells a story by itself. Similar to analog contact prints with the typical frame of a 8 by 10 film. I would keep it and print big. You could even think about additional black edges to make it more visible.

1 Like

Looks fine to me. Then again, I am not picky and my brain does the necessary corrections :sunny:.