Broken Image Pieces

Hello Everyone,

I am Rajesh from India. I am a beginner in the field of image editing. I was searching the internet for cool GIMP effects and I came across this one (image attached).

Can anybody please tell me how this effect (image attached) is achieved. It will be of a great help if a link to the detailed tutorial on this one is given.

Please help.

Thanking you all in advance.

Sliced Image

Hi Rajesh,
It looks like Roller. I’m still improving it.
Roller thread on GimpLearn

Cheers,
Charles

Looked for something similar a while back and came across this video:

Gave me all the basics I needed and your example image can be made using the techniques shown (as seen near the end of the video).

BTW: Welcome to Pixls!

1 Like

50% of that is choosing a suitable starting image.

With the slight randomness the tiles might have come from the old Java program shapecollage or similar…but…closest I can get is the Gimp gmic plugin for the tiles

and an element of distrotion using the Gimp warp tool or one of the other distortion filters.

1 Like

Thank you for replying. I watched the suggested video and learned the techniques. It did take some time but after a while I was able to do it easily. Thank you once again.

Thank you for replying. I tried method suggested by you. There is one problem. GIMP treats all the tiles as one layer, so it is almost impossible to change the perspective of just one tile. The video suggested by @Jade_NL (Jacques) is quite helpful. I was able to change the perspective of all the tiles individually.

You can use G’MIC to cut up the image and put those pieces into layers (G’MIC → Layers → Tiles to Layers). This does come with its own, possible, pros and cons:

• All pieces are the same dimension,
  • Some preliminary work needs to be done in GIMP to be able to use these pieces.
  • Shading and rotating the pieces needs to be done afterwards in GIMP (which is what you want, though, if I’m not mistaken).

A quick example how this would work:

1 Like

I agree, a random distribution is a better effect. If automatic g’mic is too plain then it all depends on a bit of effort. I did this yesterday, as an alternative to gmic. All very hands on, Mostly plain Gimp with a couple of add-on scripts (export-all-open / grid of guides) You will pick up utility scripts/plugins with use.

Not going to write a tutorial, Gimp is best learned by use, but as a rough guide, all very hands on.
Guillotine the image as the guides.
Export the separate images (tiles) and re-import as a stack of layers
For groups of tiles (either horizontal or vertical, up-to-you) distribute with the align tool. I used according to a path.
For ease of manipulation, I put the rows into layer groups.
Then go round and move / rotate / scale individual tiles.
Added a drop shadow
Added a gradient background.

Sounds complicated but did not take long, once you know how the tools work. The align tool for example can be a pain for a beginner, everything comes with practice.

1 Like