Browsing in RT 5.4 for Win 10

Hello everyone. I’m new to the forum here and to RawTherapee. Opening folders to reveal jpg and raw files are extremely slow. I’ve read that the browser can be very slow when loading a folder with large amounts of photos. My problem is that I’ve arranged my folders for the time being by year (capture date). I have a folder for 2013 for example with over 4,000 photos. About 2,200 being RAW (dng). Is there a way for the catalog to retain cache after a session of RT?

Also noticed that switching between folders is very slow. I can’t see to find anything in settings to assist with speeding up the process. Specs: AMD A8-7410; 8 GB ram.

Thank you for your help.

If you open a folder the first time, RT builds thumbnails from all the files in that folder. This takes a while because RT has to read the embedded jpg in the raw file to build the thumb. When the thumb is generated, it goes into cache directory of RT which’s size is per default 20000 thumbs. If you open the folder a second time and all the thumbs are in cache (because you’ve been patient while opening the folder for the first time) the thumbs are read from cache, which should be much faster.

If you browse through more than 20000 files, you should increase the default value

2 Likes

Thank you for your response. I will give that a try.

Regards,
Charlie

1 Like

Removed the complete bold formation from the initial post. Please only use bold for really important bits and not your whole posts.

1 Like