Brush mask hardness not working

I like the masking possibilities of ART very much and use them often. I noticed that adjusting he hardness of the brush for making a brush mask does not work. Nothing changes when I use the hardness slider. Besides that, it would be very nice if this feature was edge-aware.

Jan.

Hi,
I won’t be with a computer for a couple of weeks, but can you post an arp and raw to show the issue in the meantime? I use hardness all the time and I haven’t noticed anything strange. If you want edge awareness, use the feather slider.

HTH

Hello, the hardness of the brush mask does work here (on latest self-compiled version of Art), as it has always done. Perhaps good to know is that you must set the brush hardness before you make a brush strike, you can’t alter the hardness afterwards (unless you use the transparancy slider).

I didn’t know that Alberto, and it works great! Only question left is why you didn’t say that before. :wink:

It could be a naming issue. The hardness slider works like opacity.

If you want smooth edges, you need the bottom slider(s).

grafik

But these affect all strokes. You can not just do it for a particular one.

Thank you all for the answers. I thought hardness meant soft edges while stroking. So there’s no issue here. It works well.

I would have expected that too.

Because nobody asked :slight_smile:

It means how hard you push on the brush – if you have a better term I’m more than happy to change the label though

I would understand this behaviour as “opacity”. This is how I’m used to it. But of course, I alone am not representative. My main experiences are coming from DT an Affinity Photo:

grafik

For fun: GIMP

grafik

Feel free to wait for more input by other users.

1 Like

Thanks for your input. It seems opacity is a more common term, and I have no objection to rename hardness to opacity. (If someone feels like contributing, it’s just a one-line change in the translation file :slight_smile:

No idea how contributing works :upside_down_face:

But it’s two lines: don’t forget about the tooltip.

Done.

3 Likes

Three in total :wink:

1 Like

Well it was not directed at you specifically… Interacting here is contributing btw :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello everbody.

Follow up question (without the possibility to try and experiment right now):

What is the difference between “Opacity” and “Transparency” - see apostel338’s screen shot?
For me 100 percent opacity equals 0 percent transparency?

Or do they apply on different levels (local brush and overall mask) or behave differently?

Otherwise there is still an inconsisteny in naming…

Yes, I thought about that possible inconsistency. You are right, 100 transparency is 0 opacity. But transparency operates on the whole brush mask, not on individual strokes. I could flip the slider and rename it to “global opacity” if it’s clearer. Opinions?

1 Like

Sounds reasonable. How about something like this, to make clear that the whole following section is global?

Unbenannt

Edit: Just seen. If you intend to implement this idea, maybe for area mask too?

grafik

3 Likes

I was going to ask in a new thread but found this one so I’ll ask here instead. Is there, in fact, any way to adjust brush (edge) hardness / softness? If not, is it on the roadmap? It would be very useful.

I know I can feather a brush mask once applied but it’s not the same as a soft brush. They’re both useful, just different.

Hi,
There’s no other way than the global feathering and smoothing, and no plan to extend this, sorry

1 Like