Burst Image Denoising Showcase

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forums so please excuse a bit of self-promotion, but I think the open source software I am helping out on will be of interest.

The app is called Burst Photo, and it focuses on denoising raw images through image bursts. It can easily handle camera movement as well as movement in the scene without ghosting. It does:

• Noise reduction: burst of photos all with the same exposure.
  • HDR + noise reduction: exposure bracketed shot (e.g. -2, 0, +2EV)
  • Synthetic long exposure: you can also turn off the aligning of images and do a temporal average (including HDR support).
  • New lease on new life for your old camera: If a single photo does not have the dynamic range or noise levels of current cameras, a burst of them will get you closer. Lets you hold onto your gear longer, unless you want an excuse to buy new gear…

Before I get your hopes too high, you should know it’s only for macOS.

There’s a lot to this application so this post is long, and somewhat technical. If you’d like to skip all that, take a look at the photos, download the application, take a burst of photos and drag the raw files into the application. The output raw file will be in the Pictures folder inside a folder called Burst Photo.

The basic idea is very similar and many of the people on this forum i’m sure are already aware of, and it is image stacking. Very common in astrophotography. Some of you probably have experience doing this in photoshop with landscape, architecture, or still life. It’s less common in other types of photos because of the difficulties (and tediousness) associated with aligning everything in the frame. The way Burst Photo handles this is by splitting each image into very small rectangles and then automatically aligning each of those rectangles (it started as an implementation of Google’s HDR+ and some of their follow-up work but now also hase a bunch of custom stuff). Something like this gif from our website:

This allows the approach to handle significant movement within a frame. And by significant, I mean people walking across the frame, cars driving, waves. Depending on how much movement there is in the scene, you may not be able to match each of the small squares, if that happens, then that square is not merges and you will end up with higher amounts of noise around the things that are moving.

The files you get out of it are regular DNGs. They will not have as much dynamic range as the 32-bit float DNGs, or EXR, or whatever other format your HDR software might output in. But, you will be able to process them in your regular workflow, just like any other raw file.

The effects are particularly striking on older or sub-full-frame sensors. For example this shot is from another contributor (Chris, who has done a lot of work on the app) is from a 12-bit M4/3 camera. The top left shows the scene, and the exposure you would need to not clip your highlights. I encourage you to pixel peek at the crops below to look at the differences in the result.

Some more technical features:

• Raw-in-raw-out without demosaicing.
    • Raw files are small and fit right back into your regular workflow.
  • Optional 16-bit output to retain as much information as possible.
    • My sony has 14-bit raws, but my ancient canon (and my foveon camera) have 8-bit raws. Choosing 16-bit for the canon has significant improvements in noise and dynamic range.
    • See the impact on the shadows in this comparison. Again for a 12-bit M4/3s camera. The only difference between them is whether to use 12 bits or 16 bits for the output raw.
  • Optional tone mapping of the output raw file. Compare the images in the bottom row from above
    • This will lift the shadows and reduce the quantization effects caused the raw files using integers (whole numbers) to represent the information.
    • It will compress the highlights, trading tonality in the highlights for getting more of them into the dng.
    • This tonal compression will preserve more of the dynamic range of the burst when saving it back into a raw file. This will require extra processing on your part in whatever raw convertor you use in order to undo that tone mapping in the shadows and highlights.
  • Mild Hotpixel-correction is applied to remove some hotpixels without affecting stars for astrophotography.

How I personally use it:

• I find it especially useful for indoor events where I’m already shooting bursts in order to capture the right moment. I find that merging the photos gives me, on an a7III, the equivalent noise reduction of dropping my ISO >2 stops. The actual amount depends on how much movement there is between the frames, and how much sharpness you are willing to sacrifice. I then apply regular noise reduction in my raw editor.
  • Lets me shoot with a full electronic shutter (which for my Sony drops me from 14-bit raws to 12-bit raws) in high contrast scenes by doing an exposure bracketed burst.

Try it for yourself

• If your camera supports an automatic exposure bracket consider turning it on to gather some images. This will provide the most amount of benefit. Otherwise set it to burst and take a few photos. The closer together you take the images the better the noise reduction will be.
  • Open the application and change settings if you’d like.
  • Drag and drop the raw files into the application.
    • The raw files must be converted to .dng. If you have the adobe dng converter application installed in the default location, Burst Photo will find it and convert the files for you behind the scenes. If you do not, you will have to download the converter, or convert them yourself.
  • When it’s finished, the raw files are saved in Pictures/Burst Photo.

Camera Support:

• Bayers sensor.
  • X-Trans sensor is limited (Not all features available, but I have an open PR that will add most of them, but I need more test photos. So if you have X-Trans cameras and want to contribute some photos, I would love to hear from you.)
  • Foveon and demosaiced images (not yet).

Alternatives:

• Capture One supports producing HDR images in its newer version. The resulting image will have less noise and be a 16-bit DNG. However I have my gripes with it:
    • It really struggles with movement within the frame. But if there is very little movement, the resulting image is sharper than what Burst Photo currently produces.
    • It does not handle clipped highlights or many images well. I find that has a tendency to create splotchy areas where it’s clear that it’s switched between raw files when stitching the result together.
    • It produces massive raw files which I have not been able to open in all software.
      • My sony a7III files go from 49MB .ARWs to ~160MB .DNGs This is because Capture One demosaics the images (so the DNG has 2x more data data for green, 3x for blue, and 3x for red).
      • The 16-bit images coming out of Burst Photo on the other hand are ~29MB.
  • DxO PhotoLabs:
    • Does not support HDR merging. I think there are plugins for it, but I’m not willing to buy one and test (I could not find only if it supported).
    • They do have fairly strong noise reduction algorithms, especially their deep prime. But I am personally skeptical of applying anything machine learning related to images since that extra information that they provide is not from the image itself but hallucinated by the software. Burst Photo is using only information contained in the photos.
  • Aurora HDR:
    • The version I have does not do RAW-in-RAW-out
    • The version I have does not handle movement within the frame very well
  • Photoshop
    • You could stack the images yourself with a median filter, but this requires an extra step and the result is not a raw file.

Disadvantages:

• macOS only. None of the original developers used a windows/linux computer for our photo workflow so it was written to be mac only. Theoretically it could be moved to windows/linux, but that would require a completely rewrite, which none of us have any plans on doing.
  • In exchange for the ability to handle this movement, you will lose some amount of sharpness. How much depends on the burst and the settings you choose, but it’s within the user’s control.
  • Because the software lets the user set how aggressive to be about noise reduction, you can get situations where you end up with artifacts caused by the software being unable to merge the tiles. These artifacts are not always noticeable unless you’re pixel peeping. But they can always be removed by using a less aggressive setting for the noise reduction.
  • Because of the algorithm’s roots in mobile photography where it’s easy to capture many bursts in a row and in an attempt to reducing ghosting, the merging benefits from many photos. You can see significant noise improvements even from 3-4 images (especially with an exposure bracketed burst) but it performs much better with more photos (especially the exposure bracketed approach).

If you’ve read all the way to the end, here’s one last example. It’s a 1:1 crop from Rawdigger (so no sharpness or noise reduction applied). This is the merged result from a7III, handheld with a 100mm macro lens at ISO 20,000. I recommend you follow the link and check it out at 100%.

6 Likes

Howdy, welcome! Looks like a nice app.

Source is here: GitHub - martin-marek/hdr-plus-swift: Night mode on any camera. Based on HDR+.

1 Like

Yes, thank you! I meant to include that, but evidently forgot.

1 Like

Cool! Thanks for both releasing this as FOSS and for sharing!

What’s the oldest version of macOS this will run on?

The UI is written with SwiftUI so there is an upper limit on how far back it will work. I couldn’t tell you what the oldest one is.

There was a similar question before, so there is a CLI build target (you’ll have to download and build yourself) that should work on OSX 10.15 (and possibly older, but I don’t have a machine to test that on).

Given that all the UI does is drag and drop, there isn’t a large difference between it and the CLI version. The only functional difference will be the lack of in-memory/disk caching of intermediary files which speeds up the workflow when you’re trying to dial in settings.

See the issue here: Compile for OSX 10.x.x · Issue #5 · martin-marek/hdr-plus-swift · GitHub

1 Like

I am very pleased to see this. I have been waiting for more computational photography techniques to come to desktop photograph. Burst denoising seems like an obvious enhancement especially as cameras are capable of high rate bursts shooting these days.

My only disappointment is that there is no Windows version.

Yes. The Mac only is unfortunate, but none of us use windows.

For what it’s worth, there is a previous version implemented by the original Burst Photo dev (Martin) that is implemented in PyTorch: GitHub - martin-marek/hdr-plus-pytorch: A PyTorch implementation of HDR+ with GPU support.

I have not tested it myself, but it might be of interest. It is very limited in functionality compared on this app (e.g. does not support exposure brackets, and I think only works with Bayer images).

I think what you are doing is great. I hope it motivates the wider community to incorporate more computational photography on the desktop.

I think it will! (I hope it will). It’s a lot harder to read some academic papers and figure out how to translate that into working code. It’s much easier to take working code and to translate it into a different language.

For example, there is an implementation of burst denoise+super resolution (the next step google took after the papers that Burst Photo is based on) done in python that uses the GPU. I have not gotten a chance to test it myself, but it looks promising.

That one does both noise reduction through merging bursts as well as uses the burst to perform “domaicing”. Similar idea to the pixel-shift setting of cameras, but uses natural hand tremors to do the pixel shifting. (See this 3min video from the original authors for a very approachable explanation of how it works).

1 Like

Thanks for reminding me I want to poke at the legacy HDR+ PyTorch implementation again, should be a bit more flexible than the Tim Brooks implementation.

I’m not a Mac person, and also I STRONGLY disagree with Martin’s comments regarding libraw causing image quality issues - he refused to substantiate them, and his comments are in direct conflict with many people here who have successfully used libraw without any issues. I suspect his problem was the final saving-out step of https://github.com/martin-marek/hdr-plus-pytorch/blob/main/demo.ipynb - compare to the method I used to output a float16 DNG in the script linked below.

I don’t have an all-in-one solution that does everything, but for anyone who isn’t aware (there may be), many of these approaches do have existing implementations on Linux and/or Windows:

Average stacking - Siril or https://github.com/Entropy512/pyimageconvert/blob/master/pystack.py

Bracket stacking - HDRMerge - GitHub - jcelaya/hdrmerge: HDR exposure merging or LuminanceHDR - when I get back from vacation I need to resume working on some of the known issues with HDRMerge

Legacy Google tiled align-and-merge: Either of Martin’s implementations or the original Tim Brooks implementation which is now maintained by someone else - HDR+ Pipeline

Google’s later MFSR algorithm (Part of Night Sight) - GitHub - kunzmi/ImageStackAlignator: Implementation of Google's Handheld Multi-Frame Super-Resolution algorithm (from Pixel 3 and Pixel 4 camera) - requires a camera without OLPF

(Edit: GitHub - Jamy-L/Handheld-Multi-Frame-Super-Resolution: Handheld Multi-image Super-resolution [Wronski et al., SIGGRAPH19]. Non-official GPU-supported Python implementation. which you linked is new, yet another implementation)

1 Like

I have not tested anything about libraw and so won’t comment on that.

As it stands, the adobe dng allows us to export back to DNG, which is very useful and not something I personally want to give up on. Is it possible to do that with libraw?

Libraw handles reading and not writing. The pystack script I linked to has an example of saving out a DNG using off-the-shelf Python modules.

I need to update the comments in the code because at this point, all of the patches against tifffile are now included. There is no need for the DNG SDK to write a DNG (I’ve never used the SDK and have written DNGs in multiiple ways, similarly HDRMerge outputs floating point DNGs and never uses the SDK)- tifffile and pyexiv2 will do the trick. The stacker script I linked will actually save linear float16 output to avoid loss of precision (which I suspect is the primary reason Martin had issues with quality, since he was outputting postprocessed gamma-encoded int16 IIRC)

(Weird, I could have sworn I had updated the script to handle x-trans, but… I guess not, or I failed to push it to GH? - AHA - https://github.com/Entropy512/pyimageconvert/blob/fuji_work/pystack.py - it’s in a separate branch because I never finished robustifying/testing it)

The comments reference needing a few patches to tifffile, but at this point they SHOULD be upstreamed so you can just use the latest release. I need to retest once I get back from vacation.

1 Like

I hint at this in my previous post, but you should use float16 and not int16. Also subtract the black point offset of your input raws since float16 can represent negative numbers and having a black point offset in float16 causes quantization issues - Black level is re-added to output, leading to inefficient use of representable dynamic range · Issue #216 · jcelaya/hdrmerge · GitHub

An alternative is to use nonlinear encoding and a corresponding linearization table, although I’m not sure if linearizing int16->floats is supported?

Internally the app uses float16 (I think we actually need to move to float 32) it’s only the final output that gets put back into int16. I have not tested float16 support in the common raw processing software, but even int16 is not well supported for all camera brands-software combinations (DxO + DNGs mapped to the full 16-bit width lead to unusable images even thought other software supports it no problem).

Good to know there is an alternative! I’ll keep this as a point of reference for the future incase someone feels like re-writing the file-io.

Yeah, using float32 or more for internal work would be a good idea. RawTherapee is float32, my stacker is actually float64 but that’s almost surely overkill.

I haven’t added options for output format to my stacker yet, partly because you lose a lot by limiting yourself to int16 and I primarily use RawTherapee which I KNOW supports the format.

DxO+ DNGs have been covered in both RT and darktable’s issue tracker before - they do something weird like using int16 with a LinearizationTable that has int16 outputs…

So for int16 output, the handling is pretty simple, just spread the numbers over the whole bit range. But for float16 that seems more complicated because of the variable precision over the range. Do you have a link that shows how to handle this properly?