Busy - Servicing at Nelligen

This is one of many snaps from the remote service park at Nelligen during the Rally of the Bay last weekend. Bit questionable compositionally, but I do like the sense of action. Love to see your take on it!

These files are licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.
DSC_7991.NEF (30.0 MB)
DSC_7991.NEF.xmp (9.4 KB)

4 Likes

My version…

DSC_7991.NEF.xmp (16.7 KB)

3 Likes

Nice. BTW, the subject is my friend/acquaintance Steve - who liked the photo!

1 Like

A hotter version…

DSC_7991_01.NEF.xmp (21.6 KB)

1 Like

:sweat_smile:

123sg_DSC_7991.NEF.xmp (43.2 KB)

Trying to emphasize the heat and dusty feeling, going for a nostalgic look.
So yes, those blurs and grain are not an accident.

Just a note on that: for some years now I only have been taking pictures in landscape orientation of anything reportage and documentation. From 20 megapixel upwards there is enough resolution for a portrait crop if it is really needed.

I reserve portrait orientation for … portraits. :sunglasses:

It takes some time to get used to that but it makes life easier, the photos become more consistent and one’s sense of composition improves, too.

By the way, in the old days of slide shows, when slides were still slides, this was rather common.

2 Likes

DSC_7991_01
another cut
DSC_7991.NEF.xmp (11.5 KB)

1 Like

That works very well. I’ll have a look at your xmp when I’m on my PC… interested in how you got there.

Mmm… not something I have considered but I can see the logic in that. It’s only the last 2 years that I’ve had anything over 16mp at my disposal (if that counts as an excuse :wink: ) Actually, I have done some thinking approaching this when shooting with the aim of a square crop - I learnt the hard way that I’m inclined to get in too close.

Thanks!

simple edit

DSC_7991.NEF.xmp (8,4 KB)

2 Likes

I like it. It’s fun to play with. dt 4.2.2

DSC_7991.NEF.xmp (7.9 KB)

1 Like

DSC_7991.NEF.xmp (13.8 KB)

1 Like

Here is my quick edit using darktable and a custom script I wrote in python for curves and color tuning.

The output of darktable was pretty flat.
DSC_7991.NEF.xmp (9.6 KB)

1 Like

Rawtherapee 5.8

DSC_7991.jpg.out.pp3 (11.6 KB)

2 Likes

With RT 5.9

20230801_DSC_7991_RT.jpg.out.pp3 (21,9 KB)

Greetings!

2 Likes