[C&C & PlayRaw] The fumes rider

Here’s a photo I took last November in Manhattan. It was quite challenging: I wanted to keep the depth of field very thin to isolate the main subject, so I was used a manual 85mm lens with aperture set at f/1.4 (I had just bought that lens a couple hours before the shot). No image stabilization whatsoever. I wanted to keep ISO low, but now I realize that I should have turned it up some more anyway, to have a shorter shutter speed. Though at the same time, I like the lower shutter speed which renders the motion of the rider.
I didn’t have much choice for framing: the sidewalk was very crowed on my right, the street on my left was busy with traffic.

What do you think of this image?

The raw and PP3 (released under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 license):
DSCF6085.RAF (19.9 MB)
DSCF6085.RAF.pp3 (11.3 KB)

12 Likes

I’d argue that slower shutter speed was exactly what the image needed, to keep the movement of the bike which is critical to the story you are trying to tell here.

I think you have some control over the framing through, via a shorter crop (4x3 proportion or even further to a 10x8 proportion that would combine nicely with the old film look you have here - and help moving the main subject away from the edge - relatively :slight_smile: )

This is a great image overall, and a very good execution of a challenging shoot. :+1:

2 Likes

Interesting shot!

DSCF6085.RAF.xmp (6,0 KB)

5 Likes

I like that crop!

I mostly agree with @eylul, I think it’s a very good one! the only thing is change if possible is the relative position of the bike in the frame. I’ll have a look at the raw when I have the chance and see if I can put into a picture what I have in mind.
thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Very interesting shot! I like your own edit as well. Here’s my try :slight_smile:

darktable (2.7-git): DSCF6085.RAF.xmp (5.3 KB)

2 Likes

@sguyader Thanks for sharing. Your images always had a sense of style. :man_artist: BTW, don’t forget the customary license for your photos. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you! But the images I show her are just a few among a large number of less interesting ones…

very nice capture @sguyader. I thought that the colors of the city add a nice touch. Here is an attempt with RT5.5.
DSCF6085.jpg.out.pp3 (12.1 KB)

3 Likes

DSCF6085.pp3 (12.6 KB)

2 Likes

City cyclist make for great subjects. Love the creativity and how you framed the rider in the cloud. This shot is all about the cyclist and motion. Feels like I’m there just looking at it.

1 Like

Essai

DSCF6085.RAF.xmp (6,2 Ko)