Call for extended CR3 samples (all ISO combinations needed)

No - I assumed 0.27.4.3 incorporated .cr3 support - I’ll go back and set that option

Due to an abundance of caution, they have the BMFF support disabled by default in 0.27.4. I understand they will change the default to ENABLED in v1.0.

Once you recompile exiv2, you’ll need to regenerate the darktable build directory, verify that the BMFF support in exiv2 was detected, then rebuild darktable.

Well I have progressed a bit, exiv2 appears to be compiled with BMFF suport and darktable can now add a folder of .CR3s to the library. The image information is all there and displayed correctly in lighttable, but unfortunately darkroom cannot load the image.

Any thoughts on what could have gone wrong this time?

Did you pull the correct rawspeed branch? What errors do you get?

which camera model was used to produce the cr3 files? Beyond general CR3 support, rawspeed also needs to know the specifics of your particular camera’s sensor, and it is possible support for your camera model hasn’t been added yet. If that’s the case, then you could supply sample raw images to raw.pixls.us to allow the devs to add that support.

where did you checkout rawspeed from the cytrinox fork?
have a look at Add support for Canon CR3 raw files · Issue #2170 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub
this should bring the stuff to the right place.

My camera is Canon EOS R6 and I was following the instructions in

However, there is an error in DOV’s instruction step 3:

cd’d into src/external/darktable and did:

This should of course read: cd’d into src/external/rawspeed and did:

With that change it looks like I can load up .CR3 files into darkroom, although there are still a few places like lens correction where the EOS R6 is not recognised.

I’ll have a play around to see it all works fine, but many thanks for all the help!

i’m using darktable with Canon R6 and it’s pretty supported :wink:
For lens correction you also need to update lensfun database. Canon R cameras including R5/R6 were integrated end of September 2020. EF Lenses are supported quite well, but there’s a lack of RF Lens correction data - but this requires users having the missing lenses and providing the data (see PIXLS.US - Create lens calibration data for lensfun)

Where are you seeing the R6 support? - I look at the Lens correction module and the camera dropdown doesnt seem to include EOS R6

I did go out and try to shoot some lens correction photos last February, but there was literally no building in my part of London that had the right kind of straight lines.
At the time, I didnt want to travel too far because of COVID, but I think its time for another try.
My lens is a Canon EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

at least the osx build i provide in a parallel thread contains an up-to-date lensfun db:
jus call lensfun-update-data

Hi,

I only really started photography a month or so ago, but I do have a Canon M50m2, So I’ve tried to follow the instuctions as best I can, but I have probably made some mistakes somewhere along the line. I’ve uploaded the Samples here. If there are any problems, then please let me know where I’ve gone wrong and I’ll do my best to correct the mistakes. (Link Updated to Dropbox)

That’s great! Thanks!

One thing though: EOS M 50 Mk2 allows for ISO 51200 (H) setting
https://cam.start.canon/en/C007/manual/html/UG-09_Set-up_0220.html#Set-up_0220_3-1-1

can you shot RAW+CRAW with ISO 51200 and add just those 2 files here? No need to remake full archive :slight_smile:

Martin,
That looks like an interesting option - but can you give a little more detail about how to update the lensfun db?

invoke lensfun-update-data on your console.

Oops @johnny-bit Didn’t realise there was the additional iso settings. I’ve got two more images of my back garde, using a different lens though, hope that doesn’t make a difference.
CRAW and RAW Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks, Looks good imho :slight_smile:

1 Like

That worked!
Just to flesh out the instruction a little.

in Konsole or whatever you use to get a command line:
Install the right package:

sudo apt install liblensfun-bin

run the suggested application:

lensfun-update-data

Restart darktable and voila - in Lens correction, Canon EOS R6 is automatically identified
Sadly my lens is not in the database yet, but I will try to do something about this.

1 Like

which lens is it?

Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM

A good improvement on the mark 1 version, but heavy.

unfortunately i wasn’t able to get the toolchain described in PIXLS.US - Create lens calibration data for lensfun as well as the old toolchain to run on OSX yet …