Call for testing: RawTherapee 5.4-rc3

Hi,

did you file a bug report on github already? If not, can you please do that? Thanks!

In January there was this update to black-and-white:

I compare B/W conversion with the official 5.3 version.

@viv How to write useful bug reports - RawPedia

1 Like

I am not sure that it is a bug, but sometimes if I use “channel mixer” tool in B/W conversion tab, image does not change at all while I move RGB sliders and then changes abruptly.
Maybe algorithm of B/W was changed since 5.3 and I need to read documentation again.

By testing RT 5.4 rc3 I scrolled through older jpg-files in a couple of directories and had a close look in a few of them (RT file manager - open a file, file manager - change directory - open a file 
). After a few minutes RT got frozen. This result was repeatable.
Attemps to get a debug-file were not successful because gdb also seemed to be frozen (no further command could be entered after RT got frozen). By working with raw-files I couldn’t find any problem.
By the way: many thanks to all actives for doing a really great job!

Greetings Heinrich

I am not aware of any intentional change. If you can, please file a bug report with an example of the differences between the behaviour of 5.3 and the current one. Thanks!

There is a sudden jump with channel mixer when the 3 sliders (not the gamma ones) add up to zero and then you go to -1. I think it has done this for quite a while. I once thought it a bug but now regard it as a feature! and Rawpedia refers to getting creative IIRC. I like channel mixer.

The January change says speedup (and involves going 32bit??) so presumably not a functional change.

I checked the change: It’s fine. I also tried to reproduce the problem based on the sparse information we have, but could not reproduce.

Which OS? How’s the CPU load when “frozen”?

@ Flösie: OS is win64 and CPU load was low, about 1 to 2 %.

I could reproduce, but after deleting the cache, it seems ok.
To be confirmed

Hi,

I’ve noticed a difference in how the Noise reduction (more precisely Median Filter) works in 5.4-RC3.
In 5.3 the effect of Median Filter depended on Luminance Detail setting IF the Median filter was used in Luminance only mode (but not if used in RGB mode).
In 5.4-RC3 the effect of Median Filter do not depend on Luminance Detail setting (no matter how Median method i use). Is this intentional?
Thank you, and exceptional work by the way.
Mihai

@mipopa yes, the median filter is independent.

Thank you.
So, this was an bug in 5.3?

Yes, as well as in older versions: Noise Reduction median filter in L*a*b* mode seems to have no effect · Issue #4208 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

If I save/export as tiff or jpeg, and then right after that do another export and I change the file type, I get two identical files of the same type, i.e. 2 x jpeg or 2 x tiff, so far I tried with tiff and jpeg (i.e. second time is same file type although changed). I only get a different file type if I do another export (and do not change the file type). Tried with RT 5.3 Portable (portableapps) and 5.4 rc3 (from here). OS is Win 10.
(Am I supposed to post this on github?)

@betazoid Please report on github. Anyway, you wrote that also happens with 5.3, so I think it’s not a 5.4 blocker and will be solved for 5.5.

@betazoid a screen recording video would be best: https://getsharex.com/