Calm picture of the rough sea

Here is a play raw from my trip yesterday to the Baltic Sea (Hohwacht, Germany). Again the Scharnhorst stone in a long-term exposure. And at the end the horizon was tilted one more time … :wink:

SA702381.ARW (46.8 MB)
This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

SA702381.ARW.xmp (12.3 KB)

17 Likes

My take

SA702381.ARW.xmp (13.2 KB)

2 Likes

SA702381.ARW.xmp (16.8 KB)

6 Likes

SA702381.ARW.xmp (17.5 KB)

15 Likes

SA702381.jpg.out.pp3 (14,6 KB)

4 Likes

…and now for something completely different:

SA702381.ARW.xmp (6.6 KB)

1 Like

SA702381.ARW.xmp (9.9 KB)

2 Likes

This has a Japanese feel, a “rule of three” when it comes to arranging stones.

3 Likes

A beautiful atmospheric photograph, so I have tried to keep my changes subtle.
GIMP. I removed the yellow object on the horizon (a buoy?) because I felt it attracted the eye. Other than that just slight changes to brightness and saturation using luminosity masks.

3 Likes

Here is my interpretation using a custom film simulation.
I did all the preliminary processing in darktable: exposure, whitebalance, lens correction, and cropping. Film simulation based on Portra 400 added with a custom script.

SA702381.ARW.xmp (12.9 KB)

6 Likes

Wow, the sunshine gone. Maybe the effect should be mitigated a bit with a gradient.

SA702381
SA702381.ARW.xmp (7.3 KB)

SA702381.ARW.arp (12.7 KB)

1 Like

My fun with GIMP L-a-b

3 Likes

a different cut and idea…

SA702381.ARW.xmp (16.3 KB)

5 Likes

Maybe. I was not able to come up with anything much different to other renditions here, but then thought about the softness of the water due to long exposure versus the sharpness of the rocks. So I used a blunt instrument to approximate a pastel look. The “Diffuse or sharpen” module might have had a different effect.

In all seriousness, mine was a ridiculous attempt at poking out my tongue a little - your initial rendered image is magnificent. Kudos.

That’s fine, the category is called play raw after all. I liked the idea to convert the image to something completely different. It just irritates my when “fog” is not getting stronger with distance :smiley:.

1 Like

I tried to add contrast in the rock’s reflection on the sand

SA702381.ARW.xmp (19.1 KB)

3 Likes

My version…

SA702381.ARW.xmp (22.6 KB)

4 Likes

Obvious and at the same time unusual crop. I like it.

1 Like

Great edit, I like the contrast and definition you’ve got. If the image were mine I would remove the distracting two bouy’s on the horizon.

1 Like