Came across new FOSS panorama stitcher on Reddit, xpano

Somehow got stuck without possibility of stitching, will investigate in more detail.

Installed from flatpak

The “Matched” section appear just when I show debug info.
Without debug I’m stuck just viewing one or no image even whatever “show button” I click and the Failed to stitch pano.
Drag’n’drop of images in the window did not work ether even though the “+” icon was displayed.

I feel like It should be more appropriate to fill bugs in git hub, will try to do that tonight :slight_smile:

Apart from that the software looks quite straightforward !

1 Like

Thanks for checking out the app @clind! Much appreciated.

The error seems to be OpenCV unable to stitch the photos, this can happen if there is some foreground object too close to the lens, then the stitch can be a bit hit and miss.

But I’d be happy to test it out if you put the issue on GitHub, ideally with the source images used.

That is not true.

1 Like

I stand corrected. Please read “not much” where I wrote “nothing”

Done, thanks for sharing the software :smiley:

Thank you @clind!

I actually already found the images in your topic on the site and have been checking.

I’ll have a fix ready in a few days but I managed to get it working, this is generated from the included previews from your raw files:

2 Likes

Nice, that was fast !

The fixed version 0.10.0 is now available, thanks to your bug report :slight_smile:
Have fun trying it out!

2 Likes

Yeah, Microsoft embraced FOSS when it figured out if could use the FOSS code to feed its Copilot AI which itself isn’t free…

1 Like

I stopped following what MS did or didn’t do when I completed the move of all of my machines to linux over 15 years ago. So I may have missed that bit of “news”. Can’t say I care deeply though, doing fine with my chosen OS and the software available to me.

Hi, @krupkat, and welcome to the forum!

I was just wondering if Xpano could be used with The Brenizer Method? I’m not too familiar with the photo stitching process, but I always wanted to give this technique a try.

Also, I just wanted to say a big ‘thank you’ for adding yet another great tool to the FOSS photography toolbox. :heart:

3 Likes

I don’t see why not.

1 Like

Thank you for the nice words @martbetz!

I have just learned about the Brenizer method, it might work, but there may be some some issues overlapping images that are completely out of focus - e.g in the corners of the final image. Now I’m eager to try out the method :slight_smile: Will report when I have some results.

4 Likes

Thank you for this development. I’ve installed the flatpak in Mint 21.1 and used Pano on some test images I had collected to test Hugin a month or so ago (being very new to the world of panoramic stitching). Pano was easy for me to use, gave an excellent result and even did an acceptably good ‘fill’ operation. On the basis of this first test, I don’t think I need to invest a lot more in learning Hugin.

1 Like

Hi, Installed from flatpak on Kubuntu 22.10, seems to work. (quick and superficial test). Nice and fast. Thank you
Greetings. Roberto

1 Like

I am currently looking at changing to Linux, probably ubuntu.
I’ve been trying to wrestle with Hugin (on Windows 10), but I haven’t had much success so far.
Anyway, I was very happy to see this post. If I do change to ubuntu I’ll be sure to try this out.
Thanks!

1 Like

Pretty nice! Grabbed some jpegs and did a quick test. Assembled with no fuss. Thanks to the developer and to OP for pointing it out.

5 Likes

You’re very welcome, @krupkat — and thanks once again!

As soon as I get the chance, I’ll give that Brenizer Method a go and see what happens (or if I get to meet an EXTREMELY tall person on my next street photography walk-about, I’ll ask them to lie on the floor so I can do a standard pano :laughing:).

1 Like

fyi, there is also a Windows version available, there’s a link in the downloads section: Xpano | Automated photo stiching tool

Oh, thanks a bunch.
Looks like I’ll be trying it today. :slightly_smiling_face: