camera advice: travel and family, should work with darktable

Keep in mind that small and lightweight mft cameras often suffer from shutter shock. In my olympus em5m3 there is a special setting to prevent shutter shock but it was not on by default. I have an em10m1 that does not have this feature. Maybe the newer models do.

I recommend the e-m 10 mark iv, but with the 12-45/4 pro. Most of the pics on my pixelfed were taken with that lens. Usually there are cashbacks, it’s worth waiting a bit.

1 Like

One very good thing about the 20MP M4/3 cameras is their video capability. Specially in a travel and family context. While the X-T20 and such can also shoot 4k30 they have no stabilization whilst the M4/3 cameras have an excellent one. Of course there are stabilized lenses for Fuji, including the kit lens, but it won’t be as good.

The boat footage here really surprised me with how stable it was. Gave me gas for a used GX9 :grin:

3 Likes

Looking at Darktable 4.2 on my PC again, I now see that all of the custom color calibration presets I’d created for my cameras that are normally auto applied based on the exif data have disappeared with the update. I hadn’t noticed, so thanks for pointing me to that issue. Bit of a pain

1 Like

They have opened up the X-mount to third-parties, so both choice and price should improve. I believe that, so far, Sigma and Tamron are on board.

2 Likes

Thanks, that is good to know. I have now narrowed it down to Panasonic GX9, Sony A6100, and Fujifilm X-S10. 3rd party lenses (eg the 30mm prime by Sigma) differ by ± 5g and 1mm, and have the same price for all mounts. IBIS makes the Fuji especially attractive.

1 Like

I stumbled across this page the other day. It seems that Viltrox and a few others have joined the X-mount party.

3 Likes

For a Fuji-X you nowadays also have access to lenses from TTartisan, 7artisan, and Laowa, for instance their prod-into-ant-hill-macro-lens: Laowa 24mm f/14 2X Macro Probe - LAOWA Camera Lenses

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

I really like the files from my older Sony Nex series camera - an ancestor of the a6100. I also have an Olympus of similar age but but find the Sony files much more flexible. I suspect the newer Olys have caught up a bit though.

1 Like

After trying out many cameras in person, I went for the GX9 (and was briefly tempted for the Olympus E-M10). I am very happy with my choice, the camera and I became instant friends. Thanks again everyone for all the recommendations and detailed advice.

(I am looking for a bag now, recommendations welcome, see hiking hip bag recommendation for gx9 + few lenses)

3 Likes

Great choice. One question, which lens did pick to start out with? (If you didn’t have m4/3 lenses already that is)

Which lenses did you end up getting?

@hatsnp, @bastibe: I got the Panasonic Lumix 25 mm F1.7 (H-H025E-K) for now. I am very satisfied with the sharpness and the AF speed, I will use it for a while before expanding my lens range.

Some sample images with this lens (absolutely minimal correction: lens, CA, exposure, filmic):

The subjects are not otherwise interesting (just walking around my neighborhood, weather is bleak), but they show depth of field at f1.7 and lens sharpness. Mild diffuse & sharpen can improve sharpness without artifacts.

2 Likes