Can I automatically batch rotate/crop indiv. pics from photo album pages?

Hello, I’m new to GIMP, and cannot seem to find a way to do what I want in this instance. I was given over 100 .gifs of photo album pages (I do not have the original pages, just .gifs), with anywhere from 1 to 12 pictures on each page. Some pages have pics that are all the same size, and some pages have pics that are all various sizes. Rotation of individual pics are all over the place after decades of sitting in the albums.

What I’m hoping to do is to have GIMP (or other software, if GIMP can’t do it) to automatically batch rotate, crop and save each picture as a separate file. I’d really rather not have to do several hundred pictures manually.

Does GIMP have that capability? If GIMP can’t do this, is there another open source or freeware software that can? (I would rather not spend the $$$$ on Photoshop.) TIA.

Edit:
Attached is an example of one of the pages. Notice: different sizes, slightly different angles. I’d like to have the software auto-detect each individual photo on the page, auto-rotate to 90 degrees, crop and save as separate files. All done automatically - no manual manipulation of degrees of rotation or crop limits.

Google BIMP and see if that will do what you want.
https://www.alessandrofrancesconi.it/projects/bimp/

You do not say which OS you use, so assuming Windows.

There are various ways, not many will automatically straighten. An old script-fu dividescannedimages.scm might be possible. Also needed for that is the deskew plugin. Small problem there, a 64 bit version does not work with the current Gimp 2.10.36 but fortunately a 32 bit version does.

To save you hunting: both zipped here: divde-image.zip - pCloud divide-image.zip 57 KB

In case any linux users arround, also in the zip is a 64 bit linux deskew

How does it work: A 3 minute demo, Windows 10 / Gimp 2.10.36

2 Likes

With G’MIC it’s also possible, on GIMP top menu go to Filters > G'MIC-Qt, a window opens, go to Arrays & Tiles > Extract Objects.

All pictures will be on their own layers

Then like @rich2005 the measurement tool to straighten